Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC5 - limited slip diff?

Doofus

Country Flag
uk
I have a 2008 LC5 Invincible with 90,000 on the clock. A couple of days ago I got into difficulties on a wet grass slope with a 1 ton trailer on the back. I was in low with the diff lock activated. Bystanders later told me that the nearside wheels (top of the slope) were spinning while the offside wheels (bottom of the slope) were stationary. I had to get towed off by a tractor as I wasn't going anywhere fast! I thought the LC5 had electronic limited slip rear diff lock and optional fixed transfer box lock (locked) so I cannot understand why the nearside wheels were just spinning and the limited slip did not activate? Is it speed related - I kept the revs low and power off? How can I check to see if it is working correctly? If it is caput how much to fix it and is there a better system for the same sort of money?

no limited slip diff as far as i know
the LC5 has traction control = ATRAC
same as LC4

the LC3 has no ATRAC, but has a electronically activated rear differential lock (not limited slip)

I was moving some wood logs i have cut, with my Hilux the other day, about 2tons trailer load and around 0.5 ton in loadbed, i was impressed with drove up grassy muddy slope fine in lowrange, but i think the weight of all the logs on the back axle helped a lot :icon-cool:

No LSDon my LC5.

Did you have the centre diff locked? If so ATRAC should have kicked in and helped - although it can be a bit iffy on wet grass and mud until it figures out what's going on.

I assume the trailer was fully loaded? If so that will have helped confuse the traction and stability control too.

wet grassy slope :icon-cry:

The CD was locked so odd that the rears were stationary and the fronts spinning. Wet grassy slopes are a pig though on road tyres

Thanks for the replies. Seems to me that a bit more gas may have helped the ATRAC to do its job, but at the end of the day it sounds as if the laden trailer/wet grass mixture was doomed to failure!! I'll know for next time :wtf:

One point that is becoming increasingly more obvious is that it does not matter how good the traction control is if the tyres canot get grip, I wonder what the best alround tyre is for mainly road use, with some off road wet grass/mud/slippery slipways/snow/ice use?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I put grabber AT2 on my 120 and was very pleased with them. Slightly noisier but nit intrusive, wore better than the stock ones (60k miles lost 4 of 12mm I'd tread) and other than thick gloopy my, did very well off road.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm running GG AT2's as well, good all rounders, but be aware that the walls are weak and susceptible to rock cuts offroad.

Currently running BFG ATs at 265/70x17 and very happy - also run a set of Cooper STTs which are noisier but great traction on road, mud and snow :)

run both AT2 and BFG AT on my LC, since i have two sets of wheels.
the BFG AT have been more robust and carry load better - stiffer sidewalls

i use the BFG AT for overland trips and greenlaning
and the AT2 for general driving around when vehicle is unloaded

We won't talk about BFG AT sidewalls and lanes in the Lake District, Andy :(

My vote is fir the Yokohama Geolanders... Very impressed with them on and off road! :)

I have two full sets of 5 on 120 series alloy rims.

EDITED They are all 265 x 70 x R17

One set has the BFG All Terrains, and one set has Courser Mud Terrains.

I like the look of the muds, and that's what's on at the moment.

The BFG All terrains are in my garage, and I guess I should take a warm bowl of soapy water out to them and wash them, ready to sell them.

The BFG AT are quieter, but I haven't noticed too much yet in difference in fuel consumption.

Gra.

Last edited:
LSD on Toyota vehicles are only good till 50 to 80k... after that, the lsd just does not work. if you put wrong diff oil, then it quarantees the distruction of the unit.
LSd is standard on 120 but option delete if you ordered optional rear e-locker

Didn't think LSD was standard - my LC5 certainly doesn't have it because it has ATRAC II

Back