Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lc90 with KZ-TE needs an upgrade

SafariTecPeter

Country Flag
norway
Hi All

Wanted to run this topic by You guys as I am certain a few of You have either done it or have experience with the topic.
The vehicle is a 96 manual KZ95 with the bespoke KZ-TE engine. I used to have it & sold it to my best Bud as he was in desperate need for such a vehicle at the time. I picked it up from basically a scrapper, rebuilt it to go through our MOT & become safe again.
The Cruiser is used on as a daily runner & a family truck to my best Mate. Aside from his growing family he too tows alot & lets face it; Supra Mk2&3 with a tow hitch just doesn`t look right :-D
The bog standard KZ-TE becomes abit sluggush with steep hills & 2,5T on the trailer...

So here is our thinking;
Redo all injector nozzles
Fit a top mounted large I/C (unfortunately it`s going to be a dry on....)
Unsure abt what to do about the turbo.....
Fit a boost gauge, maybe fit an EGT (yes, I know it would be most sensible...)
Looking at building a 3" down pipe & at a certain stage go over to 2.5" tail pipe.
Based on price & availability a "tune box" may be added....

So; Fitting a top mounted IC will require a descent scoop.........
I am willing to cut open the current bonnet & weld/bond in something descent looking.
As one see quite a few scoops around, I was wondering what You guys would recon to be the "best" option

How much boost can we give her & still stay "within"?

Any views on the Exhaust size? Down pipe will be wrapped

I am still considering doing a flow test on the original inlet manifold (provided I have the time....)
Toyota is not known for being very ballanced on this. Descent & equal flow will ensure Air:fuel-ratio to be as good as it can on each cylinder

& YES, this is a separate car than the one that had an engine melt down early July

Have you had a read on Shaynes motor? Just he's done just about everything your asking and more.

There are vents built into the bonnet and you can get rubber scoops that sit behind the grill from a late model colorado or most prado's . I have a 3" turbo back exhaust , top mount intercooler , hood scoop (because i like the look) , K&N high flow air filter and a manual boost controller (14psi is max boost setting and you may find yours boosting as low as 7) .

I could probably tow your trailer up hill at 90mph with no wheels on it .

Hi!

1; No have not come across Shaynes bespoke thread yet, will do a search.
2; Well, my Bud has bought the later D4D I/C with plastics despite me having sourced another I/C..

I / We do too like the look of a scoop & want it to blend in & look good. Enough Aftermarked plastic or rubber scoops out there that look nasty. I was thinking down the line of something snug like the MMC Pajero V20 or Nissan Navara. Even a Scooby scoop would float my boat. Paint & Weld is straight forward.

What size I/V did U fit Shayne?
What abt EGT?
I intend to blank the EGR. Wil a full blank be OK or does it need a small hole to "bleed" off pressure?

Any need to adress Inlet manifold & Exhaust Manifold?
All will come off for a de-coke

Sorry If I am asking all the obviouse Q`s :)

Blank the egr completely where it comes off the exhaust manifold . My IC is something of a mystery as i have never found another identical it was sold on ebay as from a colorado but i do wonder if it belongs to a surf .

The IC has sensors in it (assuming they haven't been removed) and you need the ecu to take its readings from these rather than as the do now from the intake . On mine one fits but i have never been able to find an exact match for the other so steal the plug from the donor truck .

Changing the exhaust downpipe from the turbo for bigger is the key component whoever designed the standard one should be shot resurrected and shot again !

And ask away i'm a learner my truck is the product of forum advice i was about 40 years old before i decided i needed a driving license . Search the forum for "digital tuning devices" and you will see much of my learning curve .

The Surf may indeed be a source.
I recently got a Surf VIN but have not run itthrough my parts catalouge yet.

Good point on the I/C sensors, to be duely attended to

Agree, the stock exhaust is not ideal. Provided we can keep the noise within, I`d opt for 3" all through.
Have U had any issues with the turbine spinning as the back pressure is drastically reduced?

Did U go with SS tubing Shayne?

Will run Your "searchword" through the forum.

I went past a Kia Carnival today. The scoop on that looked like it could be an option.... Would save the weld.

Another great thing abt the I/C is that in case of a turbine failure, one will not suck or blow the busted turbine bits into the engine :) Stuff to think about too hehe

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would stick to Toyotas ic scoop design, no need for a bonnet top scoop, use the airflow through the grille by fitting 2 simple plastic air redirectors.

Great Link Shayne, appreciate it!

Well TBH WOBBLEY I think that if we go down the route of juicing up the old LC, then it may just aswell get a scoop too. My best friend is at least all in on the idea. Personally I`d fancy the optical & technical bit
We`ve even been speaking abt sourcing a TOYO SURF bonnet, then again I have no idea if it would fit....

scoop2001_zps8e95c8f2-jpg.82324.jpg

scoop3001_zps2f4f8edc-jpg.82325.jpg

scoop3003_zps0e7b5893-jpg.82326.jpg

Just thought i have a body lift and so more room under the bonnet for a top mount cooler !

Good one Shayne!

My very very initial thought when I saw those pics where; Hey, he has used Hyundai Galloper parts

But it is very much the direction I am aiming for :sunglasses:

Isuzu Trooper scoop iirc . The Prado 90 1kz-te (which never sold to uk) came with an intercooler as standard so maybe that's what i have .

Remove the big butterfly venturi (i intend to remove the small one as well when i get around to it) . I will take a pic of the bolt on throttle body i had made to match the cooler to the truck for you later today .

Please note though the intercooler adds a little power but a good exhaust adds several buckets of torque so the exhaust and most particularly the turbo down pipe/dump pipe would be my priority .

Last edited:
Sorry Peter i forgot to take pics but i have these in my computer

bumpstop 005.JPG

bumpstop 043.JPG

Thanks Shayne!

I see clearer now:yum:

My Bud (nor I) who has the truck with him will not be able to commit to any of these mods untill September.

The pros & cons of an I/C-> Lets not go down that route for now shall we?:innocent:

In essence; There must be a harmony between the air&fuel ration going in & the exhaust pouring out.
So all these will be adressed.
I believe, that somewhere on my old laptop I have a CAD drawing of the blanking plates for the EGR.... Need to dig those out & if I find them I can share them here too.

Appreciate the commenst & thoughts

My Buddys biggest conserne is the hood/bonnet

I am more thinking abt the poorly designed inlet manifold............:grimacing:

It's a matter of personal choice about the look of a scoop on the bonnet. As others have said its not needed. The bonnet is built with air channels that are more than adequate on my 1KD truck. It may be that with bonnet scoop you'll get more wasps/bees and other things caught in the top of the IC. I usually remove 2 bees, 3 wisps of hay and a leaf on average at a service.

But then a scoop does look badass... so...

Well, some sort of vent has to be fitted.
The extent of this vent is to be seen, I would definately opt for a scoop, but it isn`t my truck anymore.

No doubt that some form of filter/mesh has to be fitted.
On bigger plants (none automotive) I have used viledon filter mats. They should do it OK

Last edited:
Back