Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaking 1hd T injector pump

Jason Read

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hello, My injector pump has started to leak. I replaced the top cover gasket as I thought that was where it was coming from but it now appears to come from between the pump body and the cast iron manifold bit on the rear where the fuel lines go in. Is this easy to get off? I just can't afford a recon pump right now and I need it fixed to pass a warrant of fitness next month. Engine runs and starts fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

There's an o ring seal that fits on the cast iron part which will seal the junction between the main aluminum part of the pump. If the pump is on the truck then it's possible but the pump really needs to be taken off so you can mount the pump vertically in a vise so when you undo the distributor head (cast iron part), you have a clear view of the internal components, there are 2 sets of pins, springs, thin spacers, a plunger that will stay in the distribution head.... Once its off change the o ring and refit it making sure that the pins, springs etc are put back in the same location as you first saw them and the plunger is clicked into the drive (you'll see that).

If you were to send the pump off to be reconditioned then you would still have to take the pump off so you're knackered pal..... you have to take the pump off! If you get the Factory Service Manual FSM and follow it, it's a goer!

Good luck with it Jason, it's possible :thumbup:

Just to add, when you do it, make sure every part of the pump and any connections, pipes etc that you undo are scrupulously clean around and put caps over the ends. The slightest bit of dits entering the fuel system can score the internal parts as they are machined such tight tolerances. Scrub it up like it’s going into an operating theatre and work on it in a clean area and all will be well. Cover the pump with clean transparent plastic sheet and work under that if you think it will help keep dirt out.

Is it not possible to tighten the body without removal of the pump just in case it has come loose? When I took my pipes off I cleaned in between the injector unions with a bottle brush and strong detergent then blew it all off with the air line.

Back