Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaking brake pipes - what's the best option?

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
The handbrake warning light came on when I started the Collie this morning. I was a bit puzzled as the handbrake wasn't on and just assumed it was an electrical gremlin due the weather and something and that it would sort itself out when warmed up.

So went to pull out of the drive and noticed that the brake pedal was VERY spongey - lightbulb went off in my head re: handbrake warning light (as it also acts as a low brake fluid warning) so parked it back up and checked the brake fluid level. Just below the minimum level - H'mm, I was surprised as I'd only checked fluids a couple of weeks ago and all was well then and I've hardly driven anywhere.

Anyway, got some fluid and topped it up, left the reservoir open, started the car and pumped the brake pedal a bit - no change in feel, still very spongey. Checked the fluid level and it's gone back down - so where's it all going? The answer is - "on my drive!" (thankfully nothing fancy, just shingle) - it's all leaking from somewhere above the rear axle on the passenger side.

I'm assuming that the brake pipes have corroded and or split - so driving it anywhere doesn't seem like an option. I assume I'd have to get it recovered to a garage somewhere, where they would replace the pipe(s)? Or would this be a suitable job for a mobile mechanic?

Not quite sure what to do? .....and glad that I don't need to use the car at the moment.

The LSV (load sensing valve) is in the area above the axle on the nearside. It could be leaking through the seals or the associated pipework could have rusted through. Milner do a pre-formed brake pipe kit for the rear axle which saves some bending and flaring for a reasonable £25 or so. The LSV is also available but is not cheap.

I need to take a closer look and pinpoint the leak. Will look into options once I have a bit more info.

Stuzbot can give you the info, or look through his past threads.

If the brake pipes are steel with a green varnish coating - replace the lot . . . They corrode from the inside.

Replace with Cupro-Nickel and relax.

Bob.

A Question are stainless pipes available in the UK for brake pipes and would anyone know of a supplier and as with the two inch receiver hitch are they legal for UK roads seen them being used in the US so just a wondering

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not come across stainless for fixed lines, guessing it would be very difficult to flare your own ends with it. If ss available in the US it maybe because in many states copper lines are not legal; I think they argue steel is stronger notwithstanding the rust problem.

Back