Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaking pipes

fridayman

Garage
Can anyone tell me what the two thin metal pipes just inside the chassis rail under the drivers seat are? Mine are leaking this morning.

fridayman said:
Can anyone tell me what the two thin metal pipes just inside the chassis rail under the drivers seat are? Mine are leaking this morning.

Rear heater´s water pipes.

KZJ90 said:
fridayman said:

Rear heater´s water pipes.

Thanks. When I swap them for new ones - where do I top up the water? And do I just use tap water?

No, they're part of the engine water. That's where you car heater gets the warm water from. These are just an extension. You can bypass them if you don't want a rear heater. But they need the proper coolant putting into the radiator. If you have only been using water this may explain why they are leaking.

C

Chris said:
No, they're part of the engine water. That's where you car heater gets the warm water from. These are just an extension. You can bypass them if you don't want a rear heater. But they need the proper coolant putting into the radiator. If you have only been using water this may explain why they are leaking.

C

I have not topped up the coolant yet.

If I take these hoses off to get replacements made, will all my coolant run out?

Most of it will, especially if you run the engine ;) So put a bucket there if you're planning on reusing it - or do a flush and replace with new coolant.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I might just block these off for now, and wait until I'm ready to change the pump & stat and replace the coolant.

I've got the exact same problem. The rear heater pipes are leaking from under the bulkhead/driver's seat area.

I did see on the "other" site about replacing the metal pipes with rubber coolant hose - I think you need around 5m of 8mm and 1m of 10mm and a couple of reducers (for the rear heater end).

In the meantime, I need to do something to prevent all my coolant dripping on to the drive; I've had a look under the bonnet and located where the metal pipes come in and connect to the "main" system. However, I'm not sure whether I have some extra pipework due to the LPG conversion.

Please see pics below - The arrows mark where the 2 metal pipes seem to connect to the "main" system in the pic. The question is can I simply undo these 2 connections and connect the 2 "loose" ends with a small hose, or would it be better to simply plug each of them them with something suitable?

045.jpg

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Though I use the car as our family transport, I never recall using the rear heater even in quite severe cold weather. So disconnecting it wouldn't be a big deal. However at the same time, part of me always feels that if it's there, it should ideally be in working order......

I ended up replacing the pipes with copper tubing. My local motor factor cuts it to the correct length (if you take the old pipes in) and puts the flanges into each end. Then I just had to shape them - a little tricky, but got there in the end.

Thanks, that option would be ideal but seems a bit tricky for my DIY skill levels. I think I'll order the rubber coolant hoses etc. and see how things go.........

What would be the best way to connect the rubber hoses - i.e. cut the metal pipes further down, still within the engine bay, and attach the hoses from there - or is there another (better) way?

Thanks again.

fridayman said:
I ended up replacing the pipes with copper tubing. My local motor factor cuts it to the correct length (if you take the old pipes in) and puts the flanges into each end. Then I just had to shape them - a little tricky, but got there in the end.

Excellent job ET, not many would go to that length, certainly shouldn't be a problem again

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

chadr said:
Thanks, that option would be ideal but seems a bit tricky for my DIY skill levels. I think I'll order the rubber coolant hoses etc. and see how things go.........

What would be the best way to connect the rubber hoses - i.e. cut the metal pipes further down, still within the engine bay, and attach the hoses from there - or is there another (better) way?

Thanks again.

It is most likely only the bit under the truck that has corroded (on mine it was). Use a wire brush to clean it up and find the leak - careful with this because when you do take the corrosion off it will most likely start leaking much faster.Then you can cut a section out, hopefully between 2 fixing points so that the rubber hose insert won't need any support.

Thanks again.

I was thinking about cutting the pipes where they meet the chassis rail, in the engine bay. Then replacing the whole "horizontal" length of metal pipe with rubber hose. I can then support the rubber hose on the chassis rail. I haven't had a closer look at the rear heater end - but again thinking about a similar joint around the area where the pipes change from horizontal to vertical.

I think I had better go and but some more coolant! :roll:

P.S. You're right, the pipes only seem to be corroded in the section around the bulkhead and under the driver's seat.

chadr said:
Thanks again.

I was thinking about cutting the pipes where they meet the chassis rail, in the engine bay. Then replacing the whole "horizontal" length of metal pipe with rubber hose.

If you have a look on the VWP site, they have some steel braided hose that come with clamps.

when my pipes started leaking i was in north wales on holiday i managed to find two bolts that i screwed into the end of the two rubber hoses blanking them off where they were attached to the steel pipes on the bulk head. this was 18 months ago and all still good apart from no rear heater but when was the last time you needed to use the rear heater in the UK. the only time mine was used was when i first bought it and the kids switched it on, ten minuets later i was opening a window because i was too warm

I've already ordered some 8mm and 10mm Goodyear coolant hose off eBay yesterday....will see how I get on with that.

As mentioned earlier, I've got the hose and reducers etc. but with the kids on their hols and all that...(spare) time is almost non-existent. So I just disconnected the pipes in the engine bay and plugged them with a 10mm bolt and secured with a jubilee clip. Hopefully that will do..... :?

I do intend to fix it properly at some point and replace the pipes and reconnect............yeah, yeah, best intentions and all that!! ;) :oops:

since you are discussing about the rear heater, i might as well as post my question here and hope that someone will be able to help.

I noticed for 3 days now that there is some sort of a foul sweet smelling odor coming out from where the rear heater fan is located. i looked into it with a flashlight and checked if there were some leaks. no wet items there. I do not use the rear heater as i live in a tropical country. the fan is also not working as I think the previosu onwer disconnected the switches, i also did not spill anything and the truck is always cleaned and vacuumed.

any ideas what is this odor? you may have experienced this before.

thanks!

I don´t know why, but in mine LC90 (modelyear 1996) the rear heater´s pipes are made of stainless steel. Much easier to live with them. :thumbup:

Back