Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaking Sump - Quick questions:

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
Folks,

I have a small rust patch next to the drain plug on the sump of my 2001 FDJ-100 (Auto). There is a small oil drip when the motor is warm.

I'd like to quickly remove the sump and weld in a patch.

I have the under-trays off and removing the sump looks like a tricky job. So:

1. Is a leaking sump an MOT failure (it wasn't last year but its a bit worse now)??

2. Can I remove the sump without dropping the front diff & drive shafts ??

I can see that the sump bash guard has to come off and the cross-member that holds the suspension together (along with stabilising the N/S axle tube) can be removed.

I'm hoping that I can do this in a day or so as its my only available car at present and I must complete the work on the other two in the garage before starting on another major task.

All being well I can get it MOT'd now and fix the sump later in the Summer.

Advice please :thumbup:.

Bob.

I think in your situation Bob, personally I might be tempted to weld it in situ. This is of course before I've done the risk assessment you understand. Full pan of oil, not so bad, welding upside down without putting a bigger hole in it…hmmm?

I would try to glue it up in situ if you are under pressure for a short term fix, I do not think an uphill weld would be successfull.
Some sealers are very effective if you can clean the area well and the oil is not flowing too fast.
Subject to cost/availability I would source a good used sump with gasket and have everything ready go, drop the old sump and refit the new one job done.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks folks.

I've ordered a tube of that "J-B Weld Epoxy Putty" and will try a temp fix.

I'll thoroughly de-grease the under-trays and around the sump and hopefully the MOT Tester won't look too carefully. Hopefully Amayama will have a sump at reasonable cost as the original is not looking too good.

Now to replace the front disk dust Shields, pads and flexi-hoses and I should be good to go (famous last words).

Bob.

Back