Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Learner drivers will be allowed on motorways from 2018

Already were... I did part of my D1 Minibus test on the M4 between Reading and Theale, complete with L plates on the minibus.

I think there should be an element of the test solely aimed at scaring the shit out of young drivers , a 50mph slalom or something that they cannot possibly achieve without losing control , if they can park tidily immediately following the spin off its a pass .

Has the UK introduced the 12 month probation period after passing a driving test?

Here, you drive with stickers in the Windows front and rear, that announce you're in the first year of 'lone' driving.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Has the UK introduced the 12 month probation period after passing a driving test?

Here, you drive with stickers in the Windows front and rear, that announce you're in the first year of 'lone' driving.

In Aus it's 12 months on Red P's, then 2 years on Green P's with a zero limit on alcohol, reduced speed limits (90 and 100kmh respectively) and a few other bits and pieces that vary state by state (such as curfew times, power limits - no petrol V8s or forced induction petrols was quite common for a long time, but in NSW has now been relaxed a bit)

In Aus it's 12 months on Red P's, then 2 years on Green P's with a zero limit on alcohol, reduced speed limits (90 and 100kmh respectively) and a few other bits and pieces that vary state by state (such as curfew times, power limits - no petrol V8s or forced induction petrols was quite common for a long time, but in NSW has now been relaxed a bit)

That sounds complicated, but I suppose it would, with state by state variants.

It's zero alcohol here for everyone, there are no "limits" permitted...

I think there should be an element of the test solely aimed at scaring the shit out of young drivers , a 50mph slalom or something that they cannot possibly achieve without losing control , if they can park tidily immediately following the spin off its a pass .

C'mon Shayne, you were once young, don't tell me you didn't take liberties as a youngster, I did (and still do), problem is I am no longer made of rubber.

Regards

Dave

If you don't know then you aren't scared that's the problem.
I remember a girl at work asked me to drive her car because the brakes were making a funny noise, I drove it and it was perfect, really great in fact it was a Honda Civic. So I let her know it was fine and decided to to go out with her driving. It seems the noise in question was actually the tyres screaming as she cornered at stupidly excessive speeds. This cute little girl had been ramming the car round corners like Colin McRae from the moment she passed . The tyres were lasting 10k as she was wearing the shoulders off them blissfully ignorant of what was happening. Thank god for all the electronic stability and traction or she'd have been a statistic.

If you don't know then you aren't scared that's the problem.
I remember a girl at work asked me to drive her car because the brakes were making a funny noise, I drove it and it was perfect, really great in fact it was a Honda Civic. So I let her know it was fine and decided to to go out with her driving. It seems the noise in question was actually the tyres screaming as she cornered at stupidly excessive speeds. This cute little girl had been ramming the car round corners like Colin McRae from the moment she passed . The tyres were lasting 10k as she was wearing the shoulders off them blissfully ignorant of what was happening. Thank god for all the electronic stability and traction or she'd have been a statistic.

You've met my wife then... or any one of her many contemporaries from the Scottish Borders.

When we fitted the winter tyres to the BMW in the UK she was quite happy when she found that she could take one corner about 10mph faster than on the stock tyres...

:tearsofjoy: Worry if she starts to chalk marks on the road to mark where she needs to start braking.

C'mon Shayne, you were once young, don't tell me you didn't take liberties as a youngster, I did (and still do), problem is I am no longer made of rubber.

Regards

Dave[/QUOT

Thats kinda my point Dave i learned just how far you can push it and survive doing stuff that was outright illegal but for many the first time their car lets go will be the last time for wrong reason .

Show them how quickly things can go wrong is all im saying , punch a little doubt into the confidence of youth .

Back