Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LED strip light installation - permanent live in the tailgate?

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I wish to install some LED strip lights to the boot (trunk!) of my 80, and am thinking of the best place to do so. I have two options:

1. Across the top of the inside of the tailgate. If I did this, where would I pick up a permanent live feed (and earth) from without going back into the car from the tailgate?

2. If the above is not possible, then I could fit something inside the boot somewhere, but again where is the easiest place to pick up a permanent live feed and earth from?

Sorry, electrics not my strong point, so a nod in the right direction would be great!

Thanks.

There should be a permanent positive at the rear interior light. Shouldn't be too tricky to get to either. The headlining drops down nice and easy there once you take the rubber off and some small metal clips. Not too tricky to work a single wire through the rubber tube that connects to the tailgate once you work it free of its mounting holes each end.

Sorry, I posted a reply on this and it's gone missing. But yes there is a bundle of wires in the headlining that are used in most models. Left hand side when you peel back the headlining.

The wires that chris mentions are for a oem boot light jdm cruisers without the 3rd row had. The mounting plate for the light is also behind the liner.

The mounting plate seems a bit random actually. I have had 4 80s and none of them had the plate. Some had the wiring. Some didn't. Some were connected to the boot switch and some weren't.

Sorry, I posted a reply on this and it's gone missing. But yes there is a bundle of wires in the headlining that are used in most models. Left hand side when you peel back the headlining.

You did, I saw it.

Found it, .......

Here

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you are wiring on the tailgate itself, use the heated window earth, easy to get to. I ran my own 12v feed up through the rubber boot connecting the tailgate to the wires in the roof.

Well done JT, a case of the old double thread I think.

Yes, two different sections, this one in 80 series and the other in Electrical.

Thanks guys, I'll try and locate this wiring in the headlining and take a feed off that - cheers!

Last weekend I fitted the same led lights as Chris and some others have fitted. They are brilliant for lighting up the rear when dark. I didn't have the spare wiring for the interior lights, so ran a permanent feed from the front. I did use the earth from the boot catch so when I close the boot the lights will turn off.
Trunking the cable wasn't too bad as the trim is quite easy to take out and the head lining not too bad to peel back in the corner.

Cheers, Mark image.jpg

Yes they are good aren't they. Odd there was no wiring. It's usually tucked right away on the passenger side. I ran a live from the centre dome on the one where I didn't have the wiring either. They're usually so standard these Toyotas.

Thanks guys. Are those lights bulb or LED? How do you turn them on, the little silver touch pad in the centre? Where are they from (ebay link?)?

Thanks!

Bulbs? What be they?

They're LEDs from MUD. They're touch lights and not cheap at about £30 each but they're very good.

As Chris says, from mud uk. They are 34 led lights. I bottled out on pulling the headlining about by the centre light so used a permanent feed that was behind the glovebox to power an old car phone kit that I removed when I bought the truck.

Cheers, Mark

Back