Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LED Tailights - Good idea?

dyladams

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I am looking at installing new rear lights on my 80 series and saw these for sale. Looks like the housing has got built in LED board to support the brakes and rear driving lights.

Has anyone got any experience of these?

Thanks!

Tail lights.jpg

I have a similar pair on my 90, pretty good so far (18months in). Nice and bright

They certainly look nice I'll say that. Not too blingy, not blingy at all as it goes.
Nice.

they do look good, but I have heard that sometimes led brake lights can stop your factory cruise control working (if you have that)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My cruise control works fine only issue was I had to get it rewired differently from stock.

I am looking at installing new rear lights on my 80 series and saw these for sale. Looks like the housing has got built in LED board to support the brakes and rear driving lights.

Has anyone got any experience of these?

Thanks!

View attachment 114360

Ill grab you a set from NZ if it'll save you money (import tax is a bitch)
Let me know what you'd pay in the UK and ill have a look about :)

*Edit

See below links.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/toyota/other/auction-1272333547.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/toyota/electrics/auction-1269435224.htm

The top link attracts $31.80 import tax as theyre from OZ so total is $244 NZD or 144.38 English pounds and Eskimo pence :)
The bottom link is 103.52
Oh and you cant have them till the end of may.

Last edited:
These are my ones on EBay although I bought mine from the USA their the same brand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162283842697

£135
Hi Dervis, Can you please tell me if the reversing bulbs are better than standard on this type, the other aftermarket type seems to offer almost the top half of the unit to white reversing/indicator bulbs, but yours seem less so and for me they look more like the originals (plus my 80 is red) which I like

Hi Dervis, Can you please tell me if the reversing bulbs are better than standard on this type, the other aftermarket type seems to offer almost the top half of the unit to white reversing/indicator bulbs, but yours seem less so and for me they look more like the originals (plus my 80 is red) which I like

The reversing bulbs are standard but can be upgraded but I didn't feel the need to......their bright enough. At night the led dotted lights are brighter than stock & look more modern.
Can forward you a picture of them at night when I get a chance to take some pictures.

The reversing bulbs are standard but can be upgraded but I didn't feel the need to......their bright enough. At night the led dotted lights are brighter than stock & look more modern.
Can forward you a picture of them at night when I get a chance to take some pictures.
Looking at both sets on offer more closely yours look to have 3 rows of 5 LED's (15 bulbs in total) and the other type, 5 rows of 5 LED's (25 bulbs in total) but your LED's look bigger and maybe brighter and better quality.

The only issue I have come across is the load seen by the flasher unit is not enough to make the indicators work. A solid state flasher designed for LED's sorted the problem.

regards

Dave

I tried adding them but they interfered with the new keyless and alarm system I just installed. It did not allow the auto start function to work at all. So back to halogen bulbs. I didn't think they looked much brighter than the halogen bulbs anyway.

Although, I was just replacing the halogen bulb with LED bulb...looks like you replaced the entire unit. I will have to check that out to see if causes the same problem with the keyless entry and start function. Where did you get the LED tail light unit, price, brand and part number, if you would be so helpful? Appreciated!

Back