Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Legal / sensible tyre size for non-lifted RJ73

Edward Moyse

Hi all,

So, I'm looking in envy at all of your trucks and ... whilst I don't have the cash to do much to my truck, I'd really like to change my very skinny, small tyres to something a bit more aggressive (especially since I got stuck in mud again the other day, which was a bit embarrassing).

The thing is, I don't want to get in trouble (especially since I plan to import my truck from Switzerland to France fairly soon), and I don't want the wheels hitting the chassis and causing problems there.

I was thinking of getting some BFG 265/75 R16 123/120Q RWL (on some new rims, so I can swap back to my current tyres if I'm doing a long road drive and don't need mud tyres).

Are these too wide? I guess they're not too high since I think the original tyre was a 215/75 R16 (my current tyres are actually a bit smaller than that)

Thanks for any advise ... it's all a bit bewildering! And apologies if this was already answered in the forum - I had a look but most of the time the discussion involved lifted trucks, which mine definitely isn't (and likely never will be)

Cheers,

Ed

Hi ed, sorry for the late reply. 265s will fit without rubbing so long as you have a zero offset or less on the rims. You'll need 7 or 8" wide rims too, the standard 6.5s are too narrow. -15 offset is probably the optimum. Hth, Jim.

That's very helpful - thanks a lot!

(sorry for the late response - I could have sworn I'd already replied!)

Apparently in Switzerland they're not allowed to stick out past the body. I guess 265s will? Also, is there any disadvantage to going to R15? Apparently the Swiss only permit my truck to have 265s on R15s. On R16s they can be at most 215s. (This doesn't make any sense to me at all, but the wheel place produced printouts showing it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Edward. What is the exact model of your truck? Can you upload a photo? 265/215 is the tread width (in mm, roughly), 75 is the percentage of the width that makes up the profile (sidewall height), so obviously 265/75R16 is going to be wider and taller than 215/75R16. 265s won't protrude from the arches if you have zero offset rims. If you have the standard extended arches (most light duty models seem to have these) then you could go as much as -30mm offset and still be within the law. 15" rims won't fit some model 70s, but will fit most. The obvious disadvantage to downsizing is the tyre size reduces too, but also less 4x4 tyres are available in 15" rim sizes.

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the reply (which was very helpful), and sorry for taking so long to get back to you (been very busy with my sister's wedding).

My truck is a RJ 73 LV-MNEW FRP-Top. Don't think I have extended arches... I've added some pictures below.

I'm going to check out a place (http://www.accessoires4x4.ch/85-jante-acier-pour-4x4-les-moins-cheres-sur-le-marche.htmlnext week which has cheap rims (http://www.accessoires4x4.ch/85-jante-acier-pour-4x4-les-moins-cheres-sur-le-marche.html and I gather they're zero offset). It's good to know that more tyres are available in 16" rims.

265/70/R16 would be closer to what I have right now, but there seems to be a bit less choice in that size. Hmm...

Thanks again for your help!

IMG_9432.JPGIMG_9430.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bought some wheels from here:
http://www.accessoires4x4.ch/20-jante-acier-4x4-triangular-soft8-dwindow

They were really helpful... I went to the shop to speak to the, and the woman there helped me try a few wheels out, to see what the overhang was like. She was incredibly knowledgable, and has (I think 4) landcruisers herself, including one which is permanently stationed in Jo'burg, so when she goes overlanding (which she does about once a year) she has one there ready...

IMG_0321.JPGIMG_0320.JPGIMG_0319.JPGIMG_0318.JPG

Nice Edward, and nice again, surprising, she doesn't look the cruiser type, well not Land Cruiser, anyway! :whistle:

Glad you have it sorted! :icon-biggrin: :thumbup:

She definitely wasn't what I expected to see at an auto parts shop, but it was a very pleasant surprise... ;-)

This theme could be the start of a new thread...:think:

The wheels don't fit! :-(

The tyre place said it all seemed fine, but when he drove the truck out there was a terrible noise and he so took them off again. One wheel is badly scraped on the back, and in the picture below you can see the damage done to the tie rod (which I'm thinking I don't really need to worry about). He said some spacers (3mm) should allow the wheel to fit ... would these be okay do you think?

http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/pev4019-2134_wheel_spacer_6_mm.html

IMG_1611.jpg

Just an update on this - the spacer did the job and I'm pretty happy with how the old lady looks now (will dig out some photos). Best of all, the improvement in grip in the wet and snow is amazing! Very happy.

Back