Lendal Bridge in York - fine refunds

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
If you or anyone you know were fined recently for crossing Lendal Bridge in York you might be interested to know that the bus lane in question and therefore the fines have been deemed illegal. York City Council are refusing to pay back the fines automatically, instead you have to apply for a refund here:

http://www.york.gov.uk/info/200190/transport_and_travel/1485/lendal_bridge

Did you get a fine Jon?

That closure made no difference to congestion in York lol, it was bad before, bad during and worse now :lol:

Very honest of the Council by Isle of Man standards . A guy on the I.O.M was so pissed off about his parking fine he went through the law books and discovered every single parking ticket ever issued in the I.O.M was illegal and void , he went on to prove his case in court and have his personal fines quashed and refunded . The crux of it was only a "traffic warden" could legally issue a ticket and there has never been a such named position on the Island , they were parking inspectors or some such . It was ruled that no other fines would be refunded .

Did you get a fine Jon?
Yes, last October iirc we visited York and heading for the railway car park went over this bridge. The signs on the bridge itself were pretty clear but at that point the only alternative to continuing is to stop all the other numpties doing the same thing while I do a 3 point turn on the bridge, must have misunderstood the sign surely, but no, fine arrived a few days later. There were some AA signs earlier on the route we followed warning Lendal Bridge is closed but that's only useful if you know the bridge and that the signs you're following to NRM will take you over said bridge!

Their hand was forced shayne, there was a lot of controversy when they did the closure (didnt bother me as don't drive that way) ended up being deemed illegal when some bloke came and did an official report on it.

Yes, last October iirc we visited York and heading for the railway car park went over this bridge. The signs on the bridge itself were pretty clear but at that point the only alternative to continuing is to stop all the other numpties doing the same thing while I do a 3 point turn on the bridge, must have misunderstood the sign surely, but no, fine arrived a few days later. There were some AA signs earlier on the route we followed warning Lendal Bridge is closed but that's only useful if you know the bridge and that the signs you're following to NRM will take you over said bridge!

All sounds very familiar tbh! One of the reasons the council got shafted for it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well if your visiting again give me a shout, I'll point you in the direction of a car park in town that you don't need to re mortgage the house to use. Get a nice walk along the riverside too. (And it's not dodgy, it's for one of the parks in town along the river :icon-wink: the park is nice too)

Back