Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Libya & Egypt

Andy

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Well we finally managed to get our Libyan visas this week :thumbup:

I only have a couple of small jobs left to prepare the truck for its next adventure as I have been busy with all the preventative maintenance bits for the last few weeks.

In January (not long now :clap: ) we are off again to head across the desert, our very approximate route is planned to be:

Leave home here in Sussex for a quick sprint to Genoa in Italy & the ferry to Tunisia
Head south through Tunisia to the Libyan border crossing at Ras Adjir
Cross libya via Tripoli, Misrata, Sirte, Ajdabya, Torbruk to the Egyptian border at Sollum.

Enter Egypt and head alon the coast via Alamein, down to Cairo (I absolutely love driving in Cairo!!!!!), keep heading south via Bahariya, & Dakhla, then leave any civilisation, roads & supplies for about 3500 k's, (carrying 700 litres of diesel on board), travelling down to the Gilf Kebir & Karkur Tahl in Sudan, then back up around the Gilf, head north up through the Great Sand Sea and back to the Liya / Egypt border at Sollum.
After the Egyptian stint of desert driving we will head south in Libya, our route through Libya is likely to change depending on the situation, but we are hoping to go via Kufra and to Uwaynat (on the libyan side this time), then accross the desert to Waw A Namus, Murzak dunes, Ubari dunes , back up to Tripoli the & border with Tunisia, then head North to Tunis & the ferry back to Italy & then home!!

On my last Gilf trip I drove over 13,000 k's, with more than 4000 of them off road, I am expecting to do another 3 or 4000 more this time, with loads more off road driving.

One of my next jobs on the list is to sort & pack the spares, on previous desert trips in the Landcruiser I havnt needed any at all, apart from the expected filters, it lulls you into a false sense of security really, but with NO chance of getting any in the deep desert I will load up all sorts of hopefully, unneccesary bits & pieces

Andy

Looking forward to the trip reports already Andy :mrgreen:

How long do you expect to be away??

Feel free to head a bit further south to Sudan.

I'll have the kettle on :thumbup:

Great plan, enjoy the trip, bring some photos back! :thumbup:

Being a bit jealous, I must admit.

Paul, I did think about that, but time is the problem & wanting to make the most of our Libyan (work!!) visas, expecting to be gone up to 7 or 8 weeks on this one!!!

BTW the RAC wont include Libya on my carnet this time, so will get one at the border if its still required there, problem is, no body seems to know the rules in Libya any more, one embassy says one thing and another says something different!!

Andy

ps, just setting up my cameras new GPS module for geotagging the pics!

Just one question, how are going to get 700l diesel on board?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
like last time!:

170 longrange tank & 90 std tank =260
leaving 22 x 20 litre jerries, 16 on the roof & 6 inside!! = 440lites, totalling 700litres,

Oh I forgot to mention the 300 litres of water as well :o

https://picasaweb.google.com/1111449356 ... 0245857378
https://picasaweb.google.com/1111449356 ... 9838782930

not sure if the links will work but theres a few pics of loaded cars!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1111449356 ... 6844744450
this one has 25 full jerries on top

https://picasaweb.google.com/1111449356 ... 7655558994
and this one only 24!!, but you cant see his 8ft steel PSP sand plates on the other side!

Rob said:
Just one question, how are going to get 700l diesel on board?
Trailer tanker :think:

Thankfully the biggest, softest & most difficult dunes & sand are during the last half of the egypt leg of the trip, so the car is considerably lighter by then!, and no chas, I dont think a trailer would be an option :thumbdown:

On one trip 3 or 4 years ago, a defender came with us, and even after we had taken half his load to reduce his weight he must have got stuck, needing a tow, push, diggout etc 10 times more often than us in landcruisers.............and thats not including his (numerous) breakdowns!

Andy

Andy said:
and no chas, I dont think a trailer would be an option :thumbdown: Andy
That was said with tongue firmly in cheek ;)

You using a Spot-tracker?- guy I know used one in Tunisia and it was ace - recorded his position every 15 minutes - I zoomed in on the google map expecting to actually see him. We could follow your progress then.

Pete

Yes, using a spot, I have used one on on several trips and the folks back home have found it great.

It doesnt keep the tracks in the system for long though, so I get some one to download & save them for me for when I get back.

I also use Touratech QV mapping software for my tracks, waypoints & tracklogs etc en route, hooked up to my toughbook, both of which I find good.

Andy

Well, I am back from a fantastic trip, to The Gilf (Egypt) & Libya, via Tunisia, being in Libya so soon after the war was a real experience!!! We saw & heard of no other tourists whatsoever in Libya ( we entered on hard to get business visas at a different border crossing to the usual Ras Adjir)

The amount of destruction is incredible, there are bombed out tanks & vehicles everywhere, live & used munitions of all shapes & sizes (up to about 2ft long!) just litter the streets & road sides all over the country.

All the libyan people we met were so genuinely pleased to see us, it was at times embarrasing.
We had no problems with security or feeling unsafe whatsoever, even in places like Sirte, whether we we lucky or not I dont know, but I am already starting to plan my next trip there.

Likewise, we had no problems in Egypt (apart from there being some fuel shortages), we were in Cairo a couple of days after the lastest fighting after the football match thing and wouldnt have known about any killings if we hadnt seen a TV!

As expected, the landcruiser performed brilliantly, even though well overloaded weight wise, just a split brake hose & defunct window motor in about 13,000 hard miles, of which probably about 5000 were off road, used about 3000 litres of diesel over the trip & will post accurate figures etc when I have got the time, (remember its about 9p alitre over there!!)

Now to get some of the sand out of the car.....................!!!!

Andy

Andy - Great to here that you guys have got back safely from your trip, I'd had been wondering how you were getting on. Sounds like you had a really good trip, I look forward to hearing all about it. Glad the 80 performed perfectly as always.

Cheers.

Sounds like an amazng trip and the landcruiser did well
look forward to photos
is that your website on signature?

Back