Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

lightening quick computer

frank rabbets

Guru
My computer has been getting slower over the last few weeks and today whilst watching a video the screen went black and the tower made a whirring noise then nothing! Then it started itself in "safe" mode and since then has been quicker than I can move the cursor! This site which used to be really painfully slow is now OK.

Any ideas what might have happened? It seams to have cleaned itself as well because my Norton security backup which was full is now empty. If only I could recreate what happened in future when it gets slow again?

your using Norton....thats why its slow and will become slowwwweeerrrr and sssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooowwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr again until you uninstall it :teasing-poke:

Frank ... is the computer always starting up in safe mode now?

Hi Grant

I've just started it for the first time since the incident and it started as normal but it's slow again.

In safe mode the only drivers loaded are basic keyboard and mouse drivers, plus LAN card drivers if it's in "Safe mode with Networking", that's why it's so much quicker. Everything else on the PC, including any antivirus and firewalls etc isn't loaded so, although it's faster, it's not a good idea to run in safe mode. I recently jumped ship to the Imac camp replacing my 11 year old PC running XP but I dropped Norton and McAfee years ago and just ran Avast free AV and Zonealarm free firewall and found them perfectly adequate for general Inet usage.

Ahh yes ... so "safe mode" disables loads of programs (such as nortons) which slow computers down which is why it was running fast in safe mode.

If you have some do a clean/fresh install of windows you will probably get another 12 months of good use out of your computer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you have some do a clean/fresh install of windows you will probably get another 12 months of good use out of your computer.
I wanted to do that but my PC didn't come with a OS CD Rom and Dell refused to supply one. :thumbdown:

I wanted to do that but my PC didn't come with a OS CD Rom and Dell refused to supply one. :thumbdown:

Some manufactures have a hidden partition on the hard drive with all the rebuild files. Depending on the model there is normally a sequence of keystrokes to do when booting up to access the menu which allows you to build your machine back to factory default.

This will completely wipe the hard drive of data so back up your files to an external drive and make sure you have any installation discs of other software you've installed since to hand. If you Google your model number and "restore to factory build" you should be able to find out the correct procedure for your machine.

Thanks Trevor, I'll give that a go when I can remember what extra software I've installed. All my pictures and other files I wouldn't want to lose are already on an external HDD so their safe.

In the boot options menu, in addition to safe mode, safe mode with networking etc, some PC's have a "Recovery Console" option which reloads the OS and restores the machine back to the day you bought it which obviously wipes out anything you've installed or saved on the hard drive unless the hard drive is partitioned into a number of logical drives and any personal data, files photos etc are stored on a non system partition. Machines that don't come with a bootable backup/system disc usually rely on the owner making there own using either an existing system utility or something like Ghost. Have to say I don't regret going the Imac route.

Seriously, get rid of Norton and use a different virus / security package. Norton is known to make computers run slowly as it is a system hog. I had the same issue a while ago.

When it started by itself in safe mode the first thing I did was to check the Norton security. The computer worked so quickly that I thought the Norton was off. When I clicked the Norton icon all the boxes were ticked green so all security was working, even the backup storage. The back up storage is usually on alert as they want you to buy more on line. Isn't it OK to start in safe mode then? That's if I can believe that the security being shown as being on is correct ?

I have not lost any data.

Soon after I bought this computer it told me to install something on to discs. It did not come with any discs like my dell did. I assume these are the discs to restore the computer to its original new state? I ran my dell discs in ignorance to speed the computer up and lost everything :icon-biggrin: funny now but not then. However it's surprising how I don't miss anything that's gone.

Thanks for the thoughts. Running in "safe" mode is dangerous then!!
Safe in this context means likelihood of the OS failing to start and leaving you with a non functioning machine :icon-wink: If Norton said it was running when you checked then I'd believe it. The slow down must be being caused by some other software. Can you think of any computer changes that coincided with the slow down?

Hi Jon
It's always slower than it was when new. I've not added any software. I only use the computer for email=outlook express, ebay and a few forums. It's slow on all these. This forum is especially slow since the adds appeared but was very quick in safe mode. Obviously I browse sometimes. Without prejudice could I start in safe all the time to avoid this slowness? Alternatively could I delete all software I don't need, or may some be hidden.

I'd be inclined to run 2 programmes:
-MalwareBytes to find any malware (not the same as viruses) (free to download from here)
-CCLeaner to tidy up the registry (make sure you do the back up that it prompts for) Free download here

Both are very simple to run, and will clear out some of the bits that make things run slowly. I run CCleaner about once a month, and MalwareBytes when I remember.

Third one I'd run, and is included in Windows is Disk defragmenter; this basically puts the books back into alphabetical order on the shelf after the 2 year old has pulled them out, then randomly put them back in. As long as there is enough space on the hard disk, then this does a good job of tidying it all up and can pick up a bit of speed.

Once it's had those through it, I'd check that all the browsers are upto date (Mozilla did a cheeky update this week, and mine wasn't happy until I did it) and then install AdBlockPlus from here and you will lose all the adverts except the sponsor's ads on here.

For antivirus, I'm lucky I have Sophos via university, but I used to run Avast! (download here) free.

Hope that helps,

Ed

You may have loads of programs running on a normal start up which slows down your computer. In safe mode, as said above only certain basic programs and drivers work.
There is a command prompt that allows you to deselect certain start up and running programs when the computer initially turns on but I've forgotten how to access it...Maybe someone else can help me here?

Thanks for the input chaps. I know nothing about computers or downloads etc. I know my Norton Security is supposed to stop malware, viruses etc. It can also defrag the discs and clean the registry, whatever they are. I would be able to understand the answer to a simple question "is it OK to use in safe mode". If so and something did not work I could start it up as usual.

Thanks for the input chaps. I know nothing about computers or downloads etc. I know my Norton Security is supposed to stop malware, viruses etc. It can also defrag the discs and clean the registry, whatever they are. I would be able to understand the answer to a simple question "is it OK to use in safe mode". If so and something did not work I could start it up as usual.
You could use safe mode but it would be better to fix it properly. Try the programs Ed has suggested and see if they help. Next time I am round remind me and I'll have a look for anything obvious while we drink a cuppa :icon-cool:

Back