Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

lightening quick computer

Hi Frank, I dunno if you’ve resolved this and from a quick read of your thread I’m not sure if it’s a laptop or a PC. Either way, what the IT guys are doing here at our company, is replacing the mechanical hard-drives with the newer “solid-state” drives that are available now. Sorry I don’t know the IT terminology, but the replacement drive has no moving parts like a memory stick on steroids...
The speed at start up is comparatively stunning, mine is seconds now compared with the 8-10 minutes it used to take.
It’s not too expensive maybe £60 at a guess (going by the prices here of course) but you’ll have to have it “professionally” installed. They will preserve all your files if they do it right, but you’ll have to reinstall any and all software you currently use. Good luck...

My Mac has a Fusion drive which is what Apple call a drive that is part solid state and part HDD. It’s around 5 years old now and when I bought it a full solid state or ‘flash’ drive was and extra £1000 so I chose the Fusion. The prices have come way down and will continue to no doubt. The Fusion drive is still way quicker than a conventional electro mechanical HDD.

Back