Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lights coming on when switched off

keith97

New here, first post.
My 97 3.0L diesel LC has developed a bad habit of turning on the headlights even when the switch is OFF. Has anyone else had this fault? I'm not sure whether the switch is faulty or if it's wiring damaged. Only the headlights are coming on, not the tail lights when it happens. When the switch is on normally, the tail lights are on ok.

I'm thinking of buying a second hand headlight-indicator stalk and fitting it to see will that cure it. Any suggestions welcome.

My first thoughts are a sticking headlight relay. If it was the headlight-stalk unit, then surely the rear lights would be coming on at the same time.

OK, long shot but worth knowing. The screen on a 90 can leak just above the driver's head. This water can run down into a box behind the knee where all the relays sit. It's a sort of beige affair. The water shorts the terminals and hey presto the lights come on, and sometimes the horn too.

Might not be, but worth knowing as I said. Mine was literally sitting in water.

Chris

Thanks for replies, relay seems to be ok. Mine are under the bonnet about a foot back from the battery on driver's side. Having only the headlights and not tail lights on is puzzling ok......

Will keep you posted.

May be worth spraying some contact/switch cleaner in the switch itself. If there is any corrosion or dirt in switches they can cause mayhem. My old frontera was a friggin nightmare when it came to the indicators more or less pleasing themselves.

Just a thought, if its just the headlights coming on, is it full beam? If so it would most likely be from the indicator stalk. Again a good blast of switch cleaner will clear out any debris and water/condensation.

I'm not an expert by any means, however I find starting with the cheapest and working your way forward is always best.

Keith, no they aren't. That's not the relays I am talking about. There is a sub relay box by your right knee toward the door pillar. Trust me I wouldn't have said it otherwise. You did ask if anyone else had experienced this. Well...........

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back