Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lincomb Autumn 2013???????????

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Hi Everyone.

I think that there was some discussion back in May at Lincomb about it's continuance. I didn't hear that any conclusions were drawn but really hope that it will continue far into the future.

I had pondered previously about weather to attend or not, but after the fiasco I had in May, I would say that no matter what, weather your vehicle is tricked up to the max, over land prepped or a shiny sparkling example that has never seen mud then you should get your selves there. Over the 3 day weekend I did probably less than half a days off roading. But there is so much more to this weekend than that. The sheer amount of people and trucks you get to see and talk to is immense and the knowledge gained and shared is spectactular. Everyone that attends are really great and I consider some, if not most of them to be friends.

There really is something for everyone. All those who attend are friendly and welcoming and you can spend hours just chatting if the mud and sand isn't your thing.

Tony, Ian and the crew also arrange a cracking set of event and trails to occupy even the softest of us for the weekend and everything is overseen with great care. They really do make this weekend and for that they are all worthy of our thanks.

The Catering provided by the scouts is top notch. The price is right and the grub is spot on. (Especially the pork) and they are all nice and cheery even first thing in the morning serving you your bacon and eggs with an excellent brew.

So lets all tell Tony and the guys how much this weekend means to us all and ask him to continue to allow us to use his land into the future for our club meets.

Chris

Didn't realise it might be in doubt, hope not as that's just too much of a scary thought. The 2 Lincomb events are always a must do on my calendar and I don't think you can get anything that comes close in the entire country for all the reasons Chris has mentioned.

My question to Tony and Team would be, what are the deal breakers that might put this event at risk, what can we the participants do to effect any change that would turn that decision around.

I'd come if all we did was park in a field!!!!

How sad is that?

C

I'd come if all we did was park in a field!!!!

How sad is that?

C

Not sad at all Chris. Some may have noticed that at the last few Lincomb gatherings that's just what I've done for the one day just to partake of the camaraderie, the food, especially the HOG ROAST, that's because my 80 with the off-road capability and all the camping gear has not been available, soon to be rectified though. So Tony, Ian, et al, long may the Lincomb events outlast me and my 80's. :pray:

I have made it to previous meets and have had an excellent time so i do hope this carries on and yes Chas the Hog Roast:drool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry for the delay, I did not spot this thread when it first went up.

I am sure Tony will be along sooner or later with his side of things.

The discussion that went on was prompted by the slow sign up of people for the last event. We asked a few questions as to why but got no real feedback. Was it the weather, the cost, date chosen, event getting dull . . .

Not knowing the numbers makes it very hard to plan things all across the event from catering to marshal levels to special stages. I know some of you will turn up come hell or high water and are not particularly interested in the special stages, although having said that our last attempt seems to have gone down favourably with most. Some people like the more silly games in the field involving water, poles, blindfolds etc. and asked why we had stopped them. It is all about trying to find the balance.

We thought the slow sign up might have been due to the weather forecast so were floating the idea of forgetting Spring and Autumn and just running one in the Summer. I know this is no guarantee of nice weather but the probability is higher.

What are your thoughts?

Ian

A good question, well asked Ian. If I had the answer, I'd be a Lotto winner for sure.

OK one point maybe. Signing up means paying. Fine - but that is usually some time in advance and whilst we all love the event and the fee is well worth it, it's £70 not in my account for several months. This year my co driver dropped out after I had paid for two up front. So I'm down his share to start with. Hey, man up, move on. But maybe if there was a deposit and a later balance this might encourage people to sign up earlier and pay the balance later. More admin? Maybe but it's all a balance isn't it. I'd pay this year and the next if it were only a tenner down for now.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that is an excellent suggestion. I might be speaking out of turn, the money side is nothing to do with me, but I am sure Tony would be happy with a £10 deposit and the balance a week before the event.

Ian

As the last event fell on a bank holiday it made it harder to confirm earlier on as to if I would come or not. The other half being a last minute kinda a person, meant I did not know if I was free till very late.... Yeah I know, MAN up and all of that!

Once a year would be too few for me, it's bad enough waiting for the second event in the year to come round. I'll chance my arm here..........how about 3 weekends a year........and I'll pay me balances for all 3 ahead of time too.

Once a year would be too few for me, it's bad enough waiting for the second event in the year to come round. I'll chance my arm here..........how about 3 weekends a year........and I'll pay me balances for all 3 ahead of time too.

+1

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Make it three a year and I'll pay all of my DEPOSITS now. :lol:

Who knows where we'll be by then. I may not even have a serviceable truck they way I am treating this one.

C

May's event was excellent and I love every part of it. Even though Dirty Gal was out of commission for the most part it gave me the opportunity to experience alot more the social side of the weekend. Which I now find to be as, if not more enjoyable than the off roading and stages. Not that I would want them to stop but if they did I would still be attending.

I like the idea of a deposit system if it doesn't cause tony too much hassle and think that in the long run it should cause him less due to knowing the numbers a substantially earlier and also it will help the scouts get their orders in earlier and save Dan/Dave (God I am so bad with names) quite a bit of stress.

I would also like to have the opportunity to camp on the Sunday night again. I know it's quite selfish but It is a good 4hr drive for me so usually means I have to be off for lunch on the Sunday and spend most of the morning getting packed up and such. It's easy for me to get time off for the Monday working for myself. I know this won't be ideal for most but It would be handy for me so I thought I'd suggest it. Not fussed about fires and such but to have the time to relax and sleep off the weekends events and be fresh to drive home would be better for me

plus 1 for three times a year.

One way of encouraging people to sign up early is to have tiered pricing eg £70 if you sign up and pay say 6 weeks before the event, £80, or whatever, thereafter and £90 on the day. As long as the pricing is clearly explained, along with the reasons why it is so, up front then people should be ok with it.

Also, I am more than happy to volunteer to help out.

Noooo, that's just penalising people who don't own a crystal ball. That just introduces unnecessary pressure on what's supposed to be a relaxing weekend. £10 deposit, which you don't get back for any reason.

Chris

Deposit would certainly get me signed up earlier.

Hi guys,

just catching up.

I think this rumour got started as we did ask several people for reasons why there was a very slow take up, until the week before.
As Ian has said already, we need to know earlier just to get things organised as much as possible, and Dave needs to know for the scouts. This time there wasn't the usual pig roast as we couldn't risk the expense for a handful of people, so the standard roast was chosen instead, which did work well.

I do need to keep things simple, as without Ian Toby and the gang with their brilliant support, I couldn't do it. Also should mention Becky, who does so much here with events. (Since the last cruiser weekend we have only had one free from horsey stuff happening, and our next weekend off is after the next cruiser weekend, 7,8th September, confirming ASAP!)
So, I would like to avoid deposits.
In the event of a cancellation I would refund all money.
As we have so many busy weekends, I am struggling for a third date.

Could we have a post for all hoping to come, and then have a week when payments need to be made, two weeks before, or whatever dave needs to order pig roast.??

We can get things moving by posting registration form around five weeks before, so early August this autumn, and get momentum going?

Does this make sense? Hope it does!

Cheers,

Fair enough Tony. Nothing is going to stop me coming, but it does start mounting up when you want to do the whole weekend and paying several months up front isn't for everyone. But I know from previous meetings that people promise and then don't turn up. Some people are unavoidably absent. It happens. I'm just grateful for the weekends that you do put on. And for the help that people give to make it run. We had a great weekdn last time but it was looking pretty darn thin til last minute. Looking thin doesn't encourage people to come does it. The more regulars that you get, the more guaranteed spaces will be filled in advance I think.

Long may it live.

C

Lincomb autumn meet

Hi, sorry I am late to this thread I enjoyed my first Lincomb this year and would like to come for the autumn meet but not sure what the date is can anyone confirm please.

Last edited:
Back