Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lincomb general chat thread

TonyS

Re: Lincomb Weekend 18-20 June Planning Thread

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback so far. Sorry for taking a while to come back with prices.

Got go ahead from insurance, as previously mentioned. Will get a skip in for all rubbish, have a good supply of firewood, chopped and ready, and use of showers and toilets. Off road course included.

I have been deliberating on costs and want to keep it as low as possible, but obviously need to cover mine.

It will be an all in price, regardless of activities, so as to keep it straight forward.

£20/vehicle per day/night
£5/passenger
Pig roast (awaiting price but will be around £10 each, as much as you can eat, including salad)

So one cruiser all weekend, £40, +£10/passenger +x2 pig roast,£20.=£70 for 2people.

Payment please on arrival,cheques or cash. (Cheques made payable to HKJones(Waynhams)Ltd.

Hope this makes sense,

Many Thanks,

Tony.

(ps,sorry no burger van)

Tony and I have had a long chat tonight about the forthcoming weekend and in order to keep chatter off the planning thread, I agreed to open up a general thread for us to talk about the event and who's meeting who, swapping spares, stories etc. Please use this thread as the main message / question board.

In addition, we need to really try to get the numbers up to nearer the maximum of 50. We appreciate the opportunity to physically meet as a forum and it's unlikely that we will do so in such numbers at a different event. So for those of you who haven't been, are thinking about it or are generally in the dark, here's a quick run down.

We start to gather at Tony's farm near Stourport on Severn on the Friday evening. We pitch up in a large relatively flat field and make camp. No real point spreading out as by the time we're all here, the wagons will be well and truly circled. Friday tends to be self catering (tinned stew and pot noodles for the daring) and a few beers. Not usually a late night affair, but there's always a few die hards.

There are very clean toilets and showers on site for those of you concerned about having to use the hedge bottom. As well as fresh water. Dogs are welcome but as it's a working farm (yes, real animals) pets must be well behaved and under control. This includes poop picking on the camp site, please.

On the Saturday, we get breakfast sorted as more people start to arrive and generally by about 10 the field is full of Land Cruisers ready to go. There are generally two activities on offer (well three if you include lazing about and generally snoozing) these are green laning usually led by two extremely experienced individuals with two more bringing up the rear of the convoys to make sure everyone gets through OK. These are your hosts for the day. Please make sure that you help out, offer them tea, biscuits or even a jerry can of fuel occasionally! Hint Hint. They will see what everyone wants to do and will lead off. Make sure that you understand the sorts of mileage involved and be ready. Waiting for you holds everyone up. Most of the lanes are passable for a showroom shiny, but tissues will be available for those incurring unavoidable scratches. Remember - don't take it if you can't afford to break it. Often there are opportunities to bypass really bad sections. If you have a CB, bring it. If not, then bring some of those little radios so that you know what the hecks happening in your convoy.

OR

You can stay around the farm and go and play in Tony's woods. This is not hard-core off road, but there are sections of ground in there for everyone to try their vehicle and a wealth of experience and advice on approaches, tyre pressures, winching, damage repair.. Well trees are solid things. It's an ideal place to come and learn some new techniques in good company. No pressure and no smart alecs doing dangerous things around you. Obviously anyone on foot must be careful; it's a woods with cars in! Make sure that you are covered by your insurance and that you have recovery if you are planning on doing anything more challenging. Technically, you are on private land with permission and should be covered for general driving about including bumping into another vehicle. Just as you would be on a field for a fete or auto rally. But once you get into the extreme stuff, you may have to be good at poker when making your claim. Specific off road insurance is really the way to go. The farm carries insurance for general stuff, but cannot insure against your negligence. If you fall off the roof of your car - sorry, but that's your fault. There are no disclaimers to sign, it's a fair play policy and remember there will be witnesses ;) A tour of the propety is usually on offer culminating in a hill climb for those wishing to try and general photo opportunities along the way. If you haven't been before, it's nice drive to get you in the mood.

On Saturday night, there will be a hog roast (organic porker) which is very good. There is even some salad for those with an aversion to delicious, tender pork with cracking and stuffing, oozing out of a bun. This is a fixed price for Tony and as it's part of the whole event and it would be nice to see people getting stuck in. Sitting in a corner in the dark with a boil in the bag meal for one is a bit antisocial. We get a huge bonfire going and basically as it gets hotter we all move out and then as the night gets colder we all move back in again. Drinking is obligatory. But remember that we're driving in the morning. Pick up your rubbish please and don't throw bottles into the fire or Julian will disconnect your propshaft when you are asleep.

Sunday is a repeat of Saturday really but for those going laning, we try to organise it so that you can peel off at an appropriate point to head home. Things around the farm tend to wind up about mid to late afternoon. Unless you have blown your rear diff at which point most people stay just for a laugh and watch you struggle. There will be plenty of opportunities to look at modifications, improvements and maintenance of all types of Cruiser. But anyone calls it a Jeep and they will suspended by their... well, they'll be harshly dealt with.

So that's it. If you can play a guitar, sing or make balloon animals, bring some entertainment with you. If you'd like a go on my quad bike, then bring a helmet with you. No charge for that, but if you haven't ridden one before, I reserve the right to act like a worried parent and will make you do some basic maneuvers first.

We have agreed a charge scale this time that seems nice and easy. Price per vehicle and driver per night's pitch and a supplement for each passenger. This makes it fair. The vehicle leave the same imprint on the ground, but each extra person leave behind their quota of rubbish and skid marks to be cleaned up. We need to make sure that we leave a good impression or Tony won't have us back. The charge for the hog roast covers the bonfire, ambiance and general story telling.

If you drive a Land Cruiser, you cannot afford to miss this event. So please get your name down on the current booking thread to register you interest. We appreciate that things come up and people can't make it, but bring a mate or a wife - not necessarily your wife, any wife. Tell other owners who are less frequent visitors to the site and let's make it a humdinger of a weekend.

Please watch the forum for updates, if it gets exceptionally wet then we may have to cancel. The woods are almost impossible to drive unless you have a Bog Gobbling Monster as the red soil turns in an incredibly slippery surface and you will bash something.

Tony, time to get that pig on to roast! :D :D :D

Chris

Nice post Chris.

Did Simon turn down the idea of publishing the event on his site? Maybe someone could do a post over there but not mention this site, mention limited spaces in the post and tie it into the list here?

Ian

Sounds like a job for Bat21. Paul, where are you? :p

Chris

Re: Lincomb Weekend 18-20 June Planning Thread

Do we have a general plan of activities at all. I can prob make it up one of the days, but don't think I will be able to camp.

I believe last year on the one day everyone went green laning and the other was spent on the farm on the 4x4 track. I would obviously like to come along on the day that is spent on the farm.

Cheers
Tony

Ian Rubie said:
Did Simon turn down the idea of publishing the event on his site? Maybe someone could do a post over there but not mention this site, mention limited spaces in the post and tie it into the list here?
Good idea, Ian - I batted this idea around with a few of the folk on here but we weren't smart enough to come up with an approach that wouldn't start a conflict with Simon. Basically because our (my :oops: ) idea revolved around getting people to register here... But your suggestion is an excellent one and would work!

So what do people think - should we start a post there and say there are x places left so first come first served? Currently I think we have 33 people and around 23 cruisers lined up. Do we want give some preference to our members?
If the post on t-loc simply invites people to join up on a thread there, then we can add the numbers to our tally here :idea:

PS: I tidied the threads up and moved Tony's post here for clarity on costs etc.

Cheers,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I still think a mention would be a good idea. Lincomb is a LC weekend. Put a post up.
The response I got though was "It [the mere mention] would serve nothing more than a recruiting exercise"

Post the dates, let a discussion start over there. We can include the numbers who wish to join in the tally here.

I think you will have to maintain seperate threads and tallys on each site but it's worth a try to include any we've left behind.

Jon Wildsmith said:
I think you will have to maintain seperate threads and tallys on each site but it's worth a try to include any we've left behind.

So long as on the other thread it does not look like there will be 3 Land Cruisers in attendance. That would make for a boring weekend. :lol:

make up fictional people on the other site, that way it wont look dull

Can we not say that a number of places have already been taken but there are still 10-15 (or whatever number is appropriate) places left, please sign up on the thread. We can watch the combined total and if there are unfilled spaces here, we can make those available to the other site closer to the date. Sound ok?

sounds good, lets hope you dont get a curios person asking where the other places were filled...

For the community sake, I hope that this works, however I can't see Simon leaving the thread there. Worth a try though.

I nominate Rob ;)
I'm not allowed,
TonyP has has his acocunt deleted (but not posts)
Andrew is, well, not allowed
Jon?

Rob? ;)

I second your nomination of Rob :D

I think Simon probably considers me hostile and will take any post I make as having the wrong motives.

fine ill do it today at some point due to popular demand, just need to find some courage and word it correctly. this could get interesting.

i'm happy to take up the banner if you wish, and if need be am happy to lock horns with said administrator for that matter.

that would be great if you could do that, the less time i send on forums the more revision i can get done :roll:

Yee haa, giddyup cowgirl!!! :lol:

Who's got the book running on how long the post lasts??

Anyone got a contact for Rodger with the Bj40 - he had some good posts on the Lincomb farm and might be better at pulling people than me? Also can Julian contact his old Elco list might be several on there than have not taken to this forum layout, that would nonetheless like to attend.

Has everyone who has been before been contacted, and have all those who are coming asked anyone else to come to swell the numbers?

Back