Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lj70 Brake issue

Victor

HI!

After last offroad trip i have a brake issue in my 1987 landcruiser..

When i depress the brake pedal it is VERY firm, as in almost doesnt move, when i apply great amounts of leg force i get the brakes to work some, but they are not as good as before, which lead me to believe the brake booster is at fault..

When i depress the brake pedal and hold pressure with engine off and turns it on, the pedal drops slightly, just as it should.. :?

Any ideas wether it is the brake booster or not? A new one is pretty expensive, and used ones, well, sure, but what says same thing wont happen twice y'know?
I am thinking i'm gonna call a brake place next week though, might get both BMC and booster refurbished and hope for the best..

Upon removing the MBC from the servo i could see it was damp between the MBC and the servo..
When the servo was out of the car i could hear there was a significant amount of fluid inside it, holding it so the vaccuum line is on the bottom made a whole lot of black brake fluid run out..

So now a new MBC is ordered from euro4x4parts, only €90 :thumbup:

I learned a lesson when I had a similar problem years ago on an old Ford Cortina.

Never "top-up" your brake fluid!

The master reservoir volume is designed to maintain a suitable supply as the pads/shoes wear. Installing new pads/shoes would then bring that level back up to "full".

Any extra fluid that may be required must therefore be due to a leak. I could see no leak, but the rate of decent of the fluid level was way in excess of pad/shoe wear.

It ended up, each time I stopped at traffic lights or whatever, I was overtaken by a cloud of white smoke. Massive, like a fog! The fluid was leaking into the booster and eventually filled it to the level of the vacuum pipe. Of course that's when I got the clouds of white smoke.

Glad you have it sorted Victor! :thumbup:

Now with the load sensing valve deleted, a new master brake cylinder and new servo the brakes is as new! Locks up the wheels with almost no effort, on dry tarmac, so i am very pleased! =D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back