Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's 70's!

Hi Iwan I can not get the pics up and wood love to see how it is coming on good look with it will be a good cruiser oneDay keep up the good job from Tony.

Hi tony.. have you tried to refresh the page when you're on it. Its on the address bar at the top. Its like a circle with arrows and the page will load again. Hope your well mate.. hope you get to see the pics:pray::thumbup:

Chugging along nicely Iwan - pics are coming up ok here but they can take a little while to load :icon-cool:

20140827_184848.jpg
Had another quick hit to the project after work tonight..
20140827_184940.jpg

Quite a standard procedure!:icon-eek::icon-cool: Dropped in quite easy, scratched my chassis paint a bit here and there. Didn't break anything!!:icon-biggrin:

20140827_184953.jpg
Toyota have changed the spacings on the engine mounts from 1988 to 2004. A bit of attention needed there.
20140827_185008.jpg

It is definatly a hefty looking old lump now its on the chassis. Sitting at the set height of a 2lt on the mounts, looking at the viscous fan I'd say it needs to lower at least 30-40mm to get it vertical. Was happy to see that the 80 series springs have dropped by at least 50mm with the added weight!:icon-biggrin:

Thinking that I need to put the body on before welding the engine mounts on and dry fit the wings, bonnet and front panel. Pretty sure that the bonnet will not shut as it stands. Luckily can do a measure up off Matts 1kzt'd lj70!:think:

Thing's are getting interesting here!

Last edited:
Had a bit of a lark tonight. I hooked up the wiring loom and surprisingly it started up! Had a bit of an earth problem at first.

[YOUTUBE Lj70 d4d conversion 1st start in chassis: http://youtu.be/TT7hIDlfles

Sounds so sweet. . Hope the video link works. ...

Have edited the link! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
'Fraid the lin hasn't worked for me Iwan... Glad you got it run up though :)

Link works if you remove /YOUTUBE] from the address bar, engine sounds good ;)

Sounds sweet! :clap:

Great work dude! :thumbup:

It's a bit blurrey but hey ho!

I am still not convinced that the electrics are going to work properly. Have been looking and getting inspired with a thread on toyota diesel.

http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?10345-Winch-s-2002-Tacoma-1KD-FTV-(D-4D)-swap/page3

He had a struggle to convert his 1kd to manual fueling using injectors from a 80 series 1HD-T.

If you have time, it's an interesting read!

Going to get the immobiliser wiped off the ecu and see how many more wires I can remove to reduce the loom. After getting it running last night I managed to remove a pile more from the loom, but I cut one too many and the immobiliser has locked me out!! :wtf:

Have done some research and am sure that the 2kd and 1kd share the same head and gasket. Am thinking of buying a 2kd cheap head gasket to see how it lines up to fit it to a 1kzt block that my mate has in his workshop. Then may use the 2kd head etc on that.

For a fuel pump I have looked into the 4M40 pump thats on the 2.8td Mitsubushi Pajero.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1kz-t-no-longer-te-mitsu-4m40-pump-swap.536516/

Could be a right hybrid this one!:icon-twisted:

The engine electrics from the 2kd would sell on well!

Thanks for your help guys!

With all the hassle you're going through with electronics and swapping the fuel pump and Injectors, why didn't you just go with the 1KZT Engine with the Mechanical Pump. Two wires are all you need to run the engine!

With all the hassle you're going through with electronics and swapping the fuel pump and Injectors, why didn't you just go with the 1KZT Engine with the Mechanical Pump. Two wires are all you need to run the engine!

Good point Beau, I really enjoy doing electronics, have dabbled quite a bit with motor electronics over the years. It's not really hassle to be honest. I find it interesting in learning how it works and to do something different.

I did a 1kzt conversion about 4 years ago, and for this one I really wanted a challenge! I have broken even with the hilux and the engine doesn't owe me very much if nothing. So there really isn't anything to loose with it. :icon-wink:

Good point Beau, I really enjoy doing electronics, have dabbled quite a bit with motor electronics over the years. It's not really hassle to be honest. I find it interesting in learning how it works and to do something different.

I did a 1kzt conversion about 4 years ago, and for this one I really wanted a challenge! I have broken even with the hilux and the engine doesn't owe me very much if nothing. So there really isn't anything to loose with it. :icon-wink:

Good stuff! Looking forward to seeing the progress especially what you do in regards to fueling it!

Got any further engine modifications up your sleeves for power gains, I mean whilst the engine is out :icon-rolleyes::lol:

Hi Iwan it sounds sweet and looks good to keep it up thanks for that R you will from Tony.

Good stuff! Looking forward to seeing the progress especially what you do in regards to fueling it!

Got any further engine modifications up your sleeves for power gains, I mean whilst the engine is out :icon-rolleyes::lol:

Cheers man! Yeah there's the egr blanking off, there's a smoke filter cat pipe that needs emptying lol.. I've also been looking at a chip box that fits on the end of the common rail as it looks like I'm taking the electrical route. I also think to improve the air flow on the inlet side and fit an intercooler too. See how it runs and maybe fit a bigger turbo to it aswell!! :lol:
:thumbup:

Hi Iwan it sounds sweet and looks good to keep it up thanks for that R you will from Tony.

Cheers Tony, yes it's a smooth runner well worth the effort to make it happen/run. Works been busy too, have just finished 2 jobs and am moving on to a new restoration oak framing job. All good! How are you keeping mate? :thumbup:

Loom work..

Had another hit on setting up the vehicle loom today..
2kd in vehicle loom 008.JPG

Makes so much more sense to lay it all out and work on it on the flat. A fair bit of cutting and soldering back then finish with heat shrink. Something satisfying about getting it in order instead of it being a right rats nest!
2kd in vehicle loom 007.JPG
Opted to keep the immobiliser for now as originally I was thinking it was going to make the job impossible. I have retraced my last moves/cuts from after I heard it run last. Am going to look into if it's possible to fit the hilux ignition barrel into the cruiser. Then the immobiliser wiring will work fine then????
2kd in vehicle loom 003.JPG
I have stripped out the fuse box leaving the ignition system, glow plug relay, charging circuit and then running from that is the power for the ecu etc. So really I am going to fit this in the lj70 and wire the truck to this. (some how!).

Have traced all the wires from the dash unit and now have the wires for the instrument panel marked out.

Tomorow I have a bit of finishing off on the loom then fit! Fingers crossed, it will be running again!

Funny this wiring job, there's always a feeling that it wount work!!:think:

Last edited:
Regarding the Ignition wiring and Immobiliser, I believe that they're paired aren't they and will only work with the vehicle it came off? I could be totally wrong but believe a guy who swapped his 1KZ for the D4D had the same problem. You might want to look into that and make sure it'll work with the Hilux ignition barrel.

And I believe the Turbos on these are Variable Vane right? Means Upgrading can be difficult due to the electronics... I have heard the chips are the best way as it'll deal with the turbo boost and fueling all together and can get you better power and economy overall.

Back