Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 key broke off in ignition.

Cardo

Garage
Country Flag
grenada
Hi Guys had the key break off in the ignition on my '92 LJ70 and had to get a low loader to get me home.any ideas on how to get the ignition barrel out and replaced as I haven't got a replacement key. Can I get around the steering lock and fit a generic ignition barrel as I am on an island with few resources. Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the link Tommo1 unfortunately I cannot turn the key but I will have a look at the link.

If any of the key is showing use point nose pliers. If not slide in a thin, broad blade screwdriver as the key will be holding the tabs up.

Regards,

Rodger

No go so far. I have sprayed wd40 into the barrel and tried tapping the key with a rubber hammer. Also a screwdriver turns the thing but it doesn't connect with anything. I have taken the bottom housing off the steering column but can't get the top half off as the lip is under the dashboard. Anyone got a fiddle for getting it out as I suspect that the pin in the barrel is on the top and not the bottom. Wow just had a brain thought and used the steering column height adjustment to lower the steering column and hey ho enough clearance to get the top half cover out.

Last edited:
Update. Got barrel out managed to tap out bit of key and incredibly managed to find someone on island to make two new replacement keys to fit the original barrel. A result. Thanks for all the responses to my question. I feel a bit out on a limb here and it helps to get feedback with these problems. Cheers all.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back