Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 pre heater timer relay

Brian Theuma

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all, bought myself a 1990 lj70, the previous owner had removed the engine and I found a 2.5td and fitted it , wired as best as I could. the problem here is the pre heater timer is sitting on the seat so the motor will only start with "start you bastard" as the glow plugs are not heating, can anyone tell me where it should be found
Thanks Harley

Hey man! I know what your saying! The timer which is above the glovebox is just the timer that feeds power to the glow square relay which is in the passenger side inner wing next too the starter relay.

Essentially the timer gives a small wire positive that gives the required dose of glow to the relay in the inner wing and then the heavy power goes to the glow plugs from that relay,

So best to find the glow relay as it may have got wet possibly and to test it.. It should marked up with glow relay. It's possible to take the metal cap/lid off it and check the condition inside and go from there, clean the contact inside etc..

You can intercept the relay by activating the small positive wire with a switch that you activate yourself for the required dose of glow that you require and hence disable the timer if it's the timer thats at fault..

Good luck and welcome!:thumbup:

Hey man! I know what your saying! The timer which is above the glovebox is just the timer that feeds power to the glow square relay which is in the passenger side inner wing next too the starter relay.

Essentially the timer gives a small wire positive that gives the required dose of glow to the relay in the inner wing and then the heavy power goes to the glow plugs from that relay,

So best to find the glow relay as it may have got wet possibly and to test it.. It should marked up with glow relay. It's possible to take the metal cap/lid off it and check the condition inside and go from there, clean the contact inside etc..

You can intercept the relay by activating the small positive wire with a switch that you activate yourself for the required dose of glow that you require and hence disable the timer if it's the timer thats at fault..

Good luck and welcome!:thumbup:
Thank you very much

Ha! I have this LC now and am trying to work out how to connect the pre-heater timer as without it the alternator won't charge and there are no dash lights.

Back