Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lj71 build up.

Iwan

Country Flag
wales
As summer is here... got the urge to build a truck with bits from here and there :cool:
20150628_145917.jpg
A couple of weeks ago I managed to pick up this lj71 import. It was an auto, got a bent front axle and no engine. To its merit it has aircon, disc brake rear axle, vented front bigger discs. Top of the range interior and all the import good stuff.
IMG-20150630-WA0000.jpeg

As it was an auto with the 2lte engine. I've removed the entire loom ecu dash etc.
20150630_140826.jpg
These are well easy to take the body off
IMG-20150630-WA0016.jpeg
Nice clean platform to build into.
There's a bit more welding than I hoped for.
Will add more shortly :thumbup:

20150709_173351.jpg
Yesterday afternoon I picked the best manual chassis, minimal rust still with good brake and fuel lines. Its a 1990 manual lj71 that was broken up last summer.
20150709_181836.jpg
A very quick clean up and a good coating of 3M shultz.
20150710_140754.jpg
I gathered together some front end bits to fire into the chassis. Have owned the front axle for 4 years and kept it as a spare. Real nice to see it going into a project.
20150710_160427.jpg
Gave the disc braked rear axle a coating. Fitted that first then fitted the front axle.
20150710_192209.jpg
So now got myself a rolling chassis made from 3 trucks!
20150710_192158.jpg
I've been thinking of enginewise on this and cause I'm not going for a 2lt, I've cut the mounts out. Was thinking 1kzt but have decided to rob the D4D 2kd engine out of my junk truck project. I've finally got the immobiliser erased out of the ecu and all the hard work has been done with the wiring. I am very interested in how it's going to run.. Finally,, well dont want to speak too soon!

I'll try to keep you all posted as I aim to complete this one rapidly, or ish!

Awesome project Iwan. :clap:

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh in a couple of weeks. :thumbup:

What sort of lifting machine are you using.It looks interesting.Pat

Hi Iwan looking good keep it up good to see you wen you call to see my from Tony it's a big :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Awesome project Iwan. :clap:

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh in a couple of weeks. :thumbup:

Cheers Ben. . Good time of the year to get a build project on.... Yes be good to see you again mate! :thumbup:

What sort of lifting machine are you using.It looks interesting.Pat

hi Pat... yes it's a great bit of kit the jib. It fits on the forks of the teleporter. Its telescopic and extends out by 4 metres. To add to reach on the machine. I will add a pic of it to give some detail for you when I drop the body on later in the week. :icon-cool:

Hi Iwan looking good keep it up good to see you wen you call to see my from Tony it's a big :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks Tony.. good have a project bud! Yes good to catch up with you the other week.. the van got tested fine. . Have you got that arm chair finished?:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had the weekend off.. so back on the case today.IMG-20150701-WA0002.jpeg
A bit of catching up with what I did early last week. There was a lot of rot on the lower lhs. So had a bit of a haircut! Also only about 4" of decent inner and outer wheel arch..

IMG-20150706-WA0000.jpg

20150713_171349.jpg
Have started the bit of filler work..
20150713_171408.jpg
Decided to wax oil the fuel filler pipe work and then plate it in.. if it needs changing in the future I will just cut to expose it again
20150713_171454.jpg
Have undersealed the underside. Good preservation. .
20150713_171322.jpg
Going to move onto this side tomorrow. Luckily there not as much welding here. Bonus!

Pushing for fitting to the chassis end of the week. ... fingers crossed! :thumbup:

Hey thanks Jente. .. has slowed a bit this week, have had a couple of other things to do!

Might have spoken a bit early saying "not as much welding on the passenger side!"

Its had a bit of repair in the past this one. When I started it appears that part of the inner sill had been welded and the new inner was folded over the outer sill. When cut in could see that the sill had been full of water and was rusting from the inside!

IMG-20150717-WA0001.jpeg

So chopped out the outer and inner sill. After much debating decided to change the outer wheel arch as the inner was shot and the outer was flawed with. ..well..rust!
Thought if going for the effort now.. dont want to do it later.

The other main fault was the seat belt lower mount....
IMG-20150717-WA0005.jpeg
Its solid now! Have spent around 18 hours sorting this side out. A bit more than expected but it's a good solid shell now. If it hadn't been for it being metallic blue, I probably wouldn't have bothered. But I think it will make a nice truck. . And if you like something then why not preserve it..

Next bit of effort will be a great progress point.. engine box props.. drop the body on!:icon-cool:

Progress!

Have had a fair mission the last few days.
20150719_175651.jpg
Have taken the 2kd-ftv engine out of the "junk truck" must say was a bit gutted as I had put a lot effort into it. But with the problem of the bundera bonnet line being too sharp and the fact that the bonnet woun't close! Hey ho wasn't meant to be.
20150719_175727.jpg
Have done the engine mount move back of 50mm and lowered by 25mm. It's sitting much better now.
20150719_175741.jpg
Sitting there now with parts from 6 toyota trucks now!
IMG-20150720-WA0005.jpeg
Started after lunch today, got all the work to the chassis done before the body went on. It's a bit tricky dropping the body on with a teleporter on your own..
IMG-20150720-WA0003.jpeg
Fitting in nice there the D4D!
20150720_172839.jpg
At the end of the day tried in the hilux radiator and fortunately it fits.. didnt fit with the bundera front end.
20150720_172858.jpg
Quite pleased with the progress so far, only started 11 days ago. A bit of bodywork to be done, but priority is to get the engine starting of the lj71 key. The immobiliser was a previous hangup but now its been programed out. As it's been a year since I extracted the D4D wiring out of the hilux... I am gearing myself up to refresh myself with the progress I made back then......

Getting interesting now!! All the best:thumbup:

Back