Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 engine options

TimtheTASape

Country Flag
uk
94F3A7B8-1487-417A-A2AF-B78D392E4D81.jpeg

Engine has blown on my immaculate LJ78. What are my options? 2LTE at the moment, what engine will slot straight in? How much is it worth without?

Most would opt for a 1kz-t swap because some LJ's came with that 3.0l turbo engine which by all accounts is much more powerful than the 2LT .

I don't know much about it but theres a few on here that did it , i think because it mates with your gearbox . Not sure what else needs altered ?

Not a straight swap but not too bad. I think you would need to swap ECU s over. I know when they swap them in to a hilux its easier with the earlier kzt engine from a manual surf as there is less electrical wiring for the pump. However if your auto then the whole lot should swap over fairly easily. I'd say your best options would be to buy a rotten hilux surf complete and sell on what's left at the end.

Is it manual or auto?

My advice is to go for a 1kz with manual pump if it’s auto you will need a standalone ecu (Compushift or Spitronics) or re wire it so you can manually shift which is what I have done.

You will need the bell housing and if auto the torque converter to go with the 1kz. And you will need to make adapter plates for the engine mounts.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jump to 8 minutes and see a factory fitted 1kz

Back