Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 head gasket

Tractionman

Country Flag
england
Hi All,
Rebuilding top end after the dreaded cracked head syndrome and realise the importance of using genuine toyota gasket.
Having done some research I find loads of part numbers, superseded by this one superseded by that one, and it goes on.
I have also found on a toyota site four different manufacturers they use, non of which I have heard of, perhaps that's why the part number keeps changing, so it appears there is no such thing as a genuine toyota head gasket.
Can anyone who has done this job give any guidance and what they have successfully used. I don't want to do the job again. Thanks

No one ? Amazing, I thought dealing with the head was a major issue on these, yet no one appears to have had it and give me information. You lucky lot.

I had a cracked head on my surf, 1kz and when it got replaced with a new one (don't know the souce, mechanic sorted it) it was still blowing out the coolant. After much research and persuading said mechanic to refit the head with another gasket (from roughtrax i think) it was absolutely fine

I had a cracked head on my surf, 1kz and when it got replaced with a new one (don't know the souce, mechanic sorted it) it was still blowing out the coolant. After much research and persuading said mechanic to refit the head with another gasket (from roughtrax i think) it was absolutely fine

Thanks fbnss for reply. Most of what I need came from roughtrax, some genuine toyota, cam belt, oil filter, aisin water pump etc + their gasket headset.
The roughtrax guys are helpful bunch anyway, and I would think that they do not sell cheap sh/t gaskets important gaskets to go with their products.
I was inclined to fit the head gasket in the kit anyway, which meets manufacturers specs whatever they are and is the thickest one, which would in my opinion have more chance of sealing should there be the any fractional differences between new head and existing block + allowing for the slight protuberance of piston heads. I just thought I would check what others have used, and your input very much appreciated. Thanks.

Back