Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lj78 rear diff

Danknzlj78

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hey guys and girls, new here so be nice. Iv got a 92 lj78 prado that's just decided it wanted to blow the rear diff, from what I can find it's got a factory code 144 rear diff with 4.8 ratio, the question I have is there any way I can change the ratio without changing the housing? And obviously same question with front diff, or is there a set of diffs from another series I could put under it without to much drama? Cheers

I once had a lj71 auto and I noticed that it had 4.88 ratios just like a manual. I thought it odd how there was no difference or compensation in the ratio being an auto. It still confuses me as the ratios should be different auto to manual etc! It made me come to a conclusion that the transfer gearing could had been altered to suit auto gearing from the factory. But haven't yet got to count teeth after many years of wondering..

The kzj7x has different gearing ratios but they do take longer to accelerate and the 4.88 ratio is much better after driving both versions.

If you want to upgrade the rear axle then a certain model of the Mitsubishi shogun has a 4.90 ratio it's a 9" diff and has a locker in it! A mate of mine has this rear end on a four link set up with a lj70 4.88 high pinion front diff in his 1993 hilux! It's a weapon!

All I know about this but you're limited with the high pinion 8" front differential in regard of swapping it!!

There's a company in the Usa that sells a 4.88 rear replacement.. All the best with it bud!

I once had a lj71 auto and I noticed that it had 4.88 ratios just like a manual. I thought it odd how there was no difference or compensation in the ratio being an auto. It still confuses me as the ratios should be different auto to manual etc! It made me come to a conclusion that the transfer gearing could had been altered to suit auto gearing from the factory. But haven't yet got to count teeth after many years of wondering..

The kzj7x has different gearing ratios but they do take longer to accelerate and the 4.88 ratio is much better after driving both versions.

If you want to upgrade the rear axle then a certain model of the Mitsubishi shogun has a 4.90 ratio it's a 9" diff and has a locker in it! A mate of mine has this rear end on a four link set up with a lj70 4.88 high pinion front diff in his 1993 hilux! It's a weapon!

All I know about this but you're limited with the high pinion 8" front differential in regard of swapping it!!

There's a company in the Usa that sells a 4.88 rear replacement.. All the best with it bud!

Mines an auto as well, it's broken a couple teeth off the crown and trying to find a replacement here in NZ is not easy. Would a complete swap from a zj78 work as there is a few parts trucks around that I can get hold of, or from an 80 series?

The diffs from a kzj78 would fit, but I don’t think the Kz came with 4.88 ratio.

the front diff from an 80 would fit in the front housing of an LJ78 as they are both high pinion 8inch diffs but again, no 4.88 ratio.

the rear diff from an 80 or any of the HD 70 series is 9.5 inch so will not fit in the LJ78 rear housing.

Back