Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 starter not responding for several attempts

kkmm

Country Flag
kenya
Greetings,
I have noticed that the my starter is not responding for several attempts especially in the morning.
Then after several attempts it picks and starts the engine without problems.
During the attempts the only single sound from the starter is the contacts sound of the ignition to the starter and dashboard lights go off during the attempts.

Apart from the lack of response during the several attempts there is nothing else that is of concern.
Please help. Thanks in advance

Could be the ignition switch or maybe the solonoid on the motor. Check all cable conections including the battery terminals and earths. Try bypassing the ignition with a wire direct from the solonoid to the positive on the battery ( just the trigger wire). Just touching the battery should trigger the starter. I hope that is clear! Sometime the cables can deteriate and not pass enough current to trigger the solonoid. I had a problem with my Iveco that ended with me putting on a brand new starter motor having replaced the soloniod and brushes in the old one! The motor worked on the bench but intermittent on the vehicle when under load.

Graeme

Could be the ignition switch or maybe the solonoid on the motor. Check all cable conections including the battery terminals and earths. Try bypassing the ignition with a wire direct from the solonoid to the positive on the battery ( just the trigger wire). Just touching the battery should trigger the starter. I hope that is clear! Sometime the cables can deteriate and not pass enough current to trigger the solonoid. I had a problem with my Iveco that ended with me putting on a brand new starter motor having replaced the soloniod and brushes in the old one! The motor worked on the bench but intermittent on the vehicle when under load.

Graeme
Thanks indeed

Back