Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking at J70s in Saudi Arabia...convince me!

James88

Country Flag
great_britain
Evening everybody, i've been living out here a while now and probably 50% of the vehicles on the road are Land Cruisers of some variation, i've always been a fan of the J70 shape, specifically late 80s or early 90s ones but i've never even been in one until today.

I've got a 2000 Tahoe at the minute, it's not pretty but it has been all over the place with me, i'm looking at changing it and i've been eyeing up a few J70s, I went to see one this afternoon and I was pretty impressed with it, it's got a few issues but nothing major touch wood. It's pretty clean and it's a fairly low mileage example for the age of it.

Could anyone give me any info on these at all? It's an '88 12v but to be honest that's all I know about them! I know the air conditioning works on this which was a huge huge surprise, i'm making a list of what I need to spend on it and then i'll be going back to see it tomorrow evening to make a decision...

The reason i'm changing vehicles is that i've got a stupid idea in my head that involves driving from here back to the U.K, which would be a massive massive adventure and I think i'd love it...I trust my Tahoe to do the journey but it's not something i'd want to run or try and sell in the UK...plus it's battered bodywork wise so nobody would want a 5.3 V8 3 ton truck with 300,000 miles on it really...

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_8304_2.jpg

Cheers!

Evening everybody, i've been living out here a while now and probably 50% of the vehicles on the road are Land Cruisers of some variation, i've always been a fan of the J70 shape, specifically late 80s or early 90s ones but i've never even been in one until today.

I've got a 2000 Tahoe at the minute, it's not pretty but it has been all over the place with me, i'm looking at changing it and i've been eyeing up a few J70s, I went to see one this afternoon and I was pretty impressed with it, it's got a few issues but nothing major touch wood. It's pretty clean and it's a fairly low mileage example for the age of it.

Could anyone give me any info on these at all? It's an '88 12v but to be honest that's all I know about them! I know the air conditioning works on this which was a huge huge surprise, i'm making a list of what I need to spend on it and then i'll be going back to see it tomorrow evening to make a decision...

The reason i'm changing vehicles is that i've got a stupid idea in my head that involves driving from here back to the U.K, which would be a massive massive adventure and I think i'd love it...I trust my Tahoe to do the journey but it's not something i'd want to run or try and sell in the UK...plus it's battered bodywork wise so nobody would want a 5.3 V8 3 ton truck with 300,000 miles on it really...

View attachment 133597

View attachment 133598

Cheers!

Not too much wrong with the Tahoe but you might struggle to offload it in the UK.
Cool looking J70 though. Would attract a ton of interest over here.

Yes lovely 70. A diesel would be of interest here, not so much the petrol. And personally a manual gearbox. Does it have diff locks? What is the mileage?
A heavy duty capable off roader that you can go anywhere in. Quite rare in uk so should attract attention

This 70 is manual, 4hi/4lo which works perfectly, factory air con model. Diesels out here are very very rare, with only work trucks as a general rule that are diesel, I did find a diesel the other day (see pic) but it is of no interest to me really, didn't look any further into it than through the fence! I'm not sure about diff locks, how would you know? I know next to zero about these so that may well be a stupid question I realise. It's done around 230,000km if memory serves me right! Which I don't think is too bad for a 29 year old truck...

IMG_8252.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:
I thought as much ref diesel popularity over there - fuel is so cheap that no more ne wants diesel. If it has cable operated diff locks there will be a couple of levers between the seats. If electric then there will be buttons for these on the dash somewhere. They just help traction when in the goo.
In my opinion, the manuals offer better control off road and diesels better engine braking and range from a tank of gas. Also less to get wet if wading than a petrol.
The air con would be a deal braker if using it over there for long but it has it so thats good. The rest would be nice to haves only.
Sounds like an amazing opportunity to drive it back - something to remember for the rest if your life.
How much was the diesel estate out of interest?

I thought as much ref diesel popularity over there - fuel is so cheap that no more ne wants diesel. If it has cable operated diff locks there will be a couple of levers between the seats. If electric then there will be buttons for these on the dash somewhere. They just help traction when in the goo.
In my opinion, the manuals offer better control off road and diesels better engine braking and range from a tank of gas. Also less to get wet if wading than a petrol.
The air con would be a deal braker if using it over there for long but it has it so thats good. The rest would be nice to haves only.
Sounds like an amazing opportunity to drive it back - something to remember for the rest if your life.
How much was the diesel estate out of interest?

Had another look tonight and there's no diff locks unfortunately! I didn't go in to see how much the diesel one would have been, I might out of interest if i'm down there again any time soon.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to what is written on the VIN plate? PLANT/BUILT is A11, would that give me an idea of a build month?

Good news...i've bought it tonight! Will go get it either tomorrow or the day after (car paperwork here is either instant or a nightmare! So fingers crossed...), to give you guys an idea of how clean it is (on the surface at least) here's an engine bay shot, once the sand is gone I imagine it will be almost new!

IMG_8311.jpg

upload photoes

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Are there many 78 series over there? Very rare and sought after here.

Are there many 78 series over there? Very rare and sought after here.
The troop carrier version of what i've got? Like the long wheel base one? I've seen a few but they've all been military/camo'd ones, there's lots and lots of the normal 4 door 5 seat ones though...

The troop carrier version of what i've got? Like the long wheel base one? I've seen a few but they've all been military/camo'd ones, there's lots and lots of the normal 4 door 5 seat ones though...

That's it. Or a 79 crew cab.

If you got a 78 or 79 with a big diesel (as new as possible) you've got one of the most sought after LCs out there.

Congrats - very exceited to hear what you think of it once you drive it

Back