Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a reliable dashboard compass - any suggestions?

GingerMermaid

Have been trying to find a good non-digital compass to mount on my dash but only seem to be able to find super cheap plastic ones that I can't quite bring myself to any faith in or relatively expensive marine ones (£60+). Does anyone have any recommendations of where to look?

Compasses are most accurate when not in proximity to metal, like an engine block, or body work unless calibrated for that specific vehicle, then you cant have anything with a magnetic field or influence on a magnetic field any where hear it.

iirc your off soon on an adventure soon and so i wouldn't put any faith in budget car accessories which tend to be more for show than any useful purpose . A boat without a compass can get into serious trouble very easily so even a low budget marine compass is unlikely to fail .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A boat without a compass can get into serious trouble very easily so even a low budget marine compass is unlikely to fail .

That's what I was thinking. Have decided to go for the Silva 70UN, attachable but removable for storage & use away from the vehicle.

Back