Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a saviour - import problem

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
So after 5 years of looking for a good drivers door, Cruiserworld have sold me one - they are in Holland. It needs to be shipped on a pallet. Doing this to a private UK address will cost €1000. To a business address is €200.
To qualify as a suitable business address it must have a vat number and an EORI number.
Being billy no mates now Ive retired, I cant persuade anyone sensible to try hard enough to get the numbers and volunteer to receive the pallet for me.
I dont suppose there is anyone on here who imports stuff who could be my new best mate?
Failing that Im considering going to Holland to get it - along with whatever else I can ask maarten to find in his stock for me.
A cheeky ask I know but if anyone is a business and has the numbers and wants to help it would be much appreciated.
Thanks ben

TBH if it was me I'd be planning a road trip, get whatever else you need at the same time and make a nice long weekend of it, Ben!

A private sale of used goods , should be no vat or duty to pay surely ?

I'd look at arranging your own pallet courier to collect , pallets are all networks , might take a month and the door will be loaded onto 7 different wagons before it arrives but no one pallet costs a grand .

A private sale of used goods , should be no vat or duty to pay surely ?
Could possibly get aeay with it shayne but they wont ship to a private individual. Will look into the pallet collecting option - that may work. Thanks for the idea

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd look at arranging your own pallet courier to collect , pallets are all networks , might take a month and the door will be loaded onto 7 different wagons before it arrives but no one pallet costs a grand .
So far so good:
2D6BCFCF-6FE5-479B-AE8C-E642DD2AC6AE.png

have cruiserworld given you the shipping quote? if so, sort out your own from this end, it will be much cheaper.

just make sure its tracked one of mine wasn't and ended up lost in a warehouse with 20.000 other pallets late for delivery i eventually learned .

have cruiserworld given you the shipping quote? if so, sort out your own from this end, it will be much cheaper.
Yes they have CG so I can just agree with them all the arrangements and try to avoid the pallet being transshipped too many times.
But I think Cruiserworld are on a weeks shutdown now!

I'd not be worried about damage on a pallet because nobody actually handles the goods its forks to forks and i'd imagine the door will be transported upright because overhang is not allowed meaning the door itself will not be touched at all in transit .

I'll be coming back that way in the next couple of days and would gladly pick it up for you but not sure if I would be able to get it on. Has it already been palletised or do you have dims of the door itself?

Last edited:
What about shipping to your local friendly garage ?

So was it worth it for it to become so complicated? It's become very expensive for us here.. thought it was the sunny uplands promise?

Hi Jacob100, thats very kind of you. It has been palletised ready to ho but I believe Cruiserworld are shutdown this week by the auto generated message I received yesterday so its really unlucky timing.
Thanks very much for the offer though

What about shipping to your local friendly garage ?
Yes thought about that Bmonck but Mark doesnt import anything so doesnt have sn EORI number.
Hopefully arranging for the pallet to be collected will do the trick and the paperwork csn be handled by the courier. I will find out today

So was it worth it for it to become so complicated? It's become very expensive for us here.. thought it was the sunny uplands promise?
Indeed Iwan its a brexit consequence, not unforeseen but not expected to be so difficult for a private individual to do things like this.
Once time goes by it will all get streamlined I expect but still costly.
Yes I could get the current door repaired but having a rust free door again ready to pack with every wax / grease / oil / sheep juice rust preventer known to man just feels right.
Just got rear upper & lower tailgates too in UK so it will be off to paint soon and when back the bodywork will be finished for now and the whole truck baselining declared complete. Except I may get some new wheels and I do need that fog light. Oh and the headlining is a bit shabby. And eventually a 1HD-T ….

No use to you because of my business location but i think i got an EORI number just because i'm vat registered .

Can't actually remember how it came about but i certainly didn't apply for it , maybe they sent me an email or maybe i just ticked a box on some other run of the mill form because i have occasionally in the past bought ropes from Southern Ireland .

EU vat rules changed in line with UK rules in April i believe , doesn't matter much to me because i'm not European but a quick read says French buying from Germany for example vat will be collected in France by a registered handler/highwayman which is to say someone with an EORI number or the equivalent .

Vat is now charged on pretty much everything because in France (the first to introduce vat during WW1 though it was thought up in Germany earlier) think i read some 50% of its national revenue comes from vat .

Theres room for error in that because i read it last night without much interest so i'm happy to be corrected .

Not sure where you are Ben but anyone concerned with marine engines will likely have a EORI number because the vast majority of them are built in France so parts you need yesterday usually take a couple of weeks to arrive .

Getting an EORI number is quick and painless. The other option I'd look into would be a freight exchange where an independent carrier might give you a good rate if it ties in with their other work.

Back