Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for some 80's

Henri Stofberg

We intend taking a drive from the UK to ZA.

The idea is to buy some 80's in the UK and then to drive them to ZA. It will be easier than bringing our cars all the way to the UK.

So we are looking for about 5 cars and this is where I am trying to lean on the LC guys in the UK to help us out.

There are some other suggestion on the table, but the 80 keep on popping up.

LC 80. I have one and it will take me wherever I want to go. They are also very sell able in Africa. Just can't import them into ZA.

LR. I do want to get to ZA. I don't want to be locked up for spilling oil all the way south and I also don't want to break down all the way there. In Africa, nobody wants them. They are dirt cheap around here.

Prado/Colorado. We have a 95 series and I won't go anywhere further than the municipal borders with that thing. The 1KZTE engine is the biggest crap Toyota ever released.

LC 105. Also an option, but I would guess them a bit expensive.

So yes, I would love it if you guys could help us out here....

If you could drive some 105's to the UK people will bite your hands off for them........well i would anyway, bit of a holy grail up here. :pray:

The 105's are very rare here Henri so I think that just leaves 80 series on your list. There's plenty of them about but it's getting harder and harder to find good ones. 5 good ones could quite a challenge! Are you going to prefer 12v or 24v, auto or manual? The UK market auto's are 12 valve. There are a few manual 12 valves but most manuals are the newer 24 valve. What sort of budget are you looking at for each truck and what about then equipping them for your journey?

I am assuming that you are referring to 12valve and 24valve cars.

We were thinking of 1HZ units. Nothing that can go wizz and pop in the middle of the Serengeti. So that leaves us with 80GX 1HZ. Yes they are lazy, but they just never say die.

Budget? Probably between 4,000 and 7,000 quid.

Having read a fair amount of the chat on LCCSA, my guess is they would be happy with (prefer?) manuals and the 24V would probably be preferred too. This is assuming you want diesels of course! I would of course support the model chosen:D

Henri, the good news is that while good 80s are getting rarer and rarer here, they are still less than half the price like-for-like with SA prices. Upwards of GBP5-6k is regarded as a lot for an 80 here, even for the very best, low mileage ones. From what I've seen on LCCSA a good 80VX 24v with 3 difflocks etc will fetch upwards of ZAR150k (roughly GBP13k).
The challenge will be waiting for 5 good ones to come up - most are at the bottom end of the market, big miles, poor service history etc.

Accessories here can be pricey compared to SA. Replacement suspension options are good, readily available and cheap by SA standards. LR fuel tanks and RTTs are a different story though - it might be worth sourcing some accessories in SA and shipping here if you're kitting 5 vehicles. Don't know how far you intend to go with the accessories and prep but shout and we can tell you what the options are here! There are at least 2 dedicated LC overland preparation guys in the UK (Julian Voelcker, who is a member on LCCSA, and Greg from Landcruisers Overland). We also have a club member able to source OEM Toyota parts at VERY competitive prices.

I am happy to assist looking at vehicles in the SW London, Surrey and Hampshire area if you want someone local to check any vehicles out. I am sure that through the club we can cover the whole country ;)

Cheers,

Oops, missed your update!

Henri Stofberg said:
I am assuming that you are referring to 12valve and 24valve cars.

We were thinking if of 1HZ units. Nothing that can go wizz and pop in the middle of the Serengeti. So that leaves us with 80GX 1HZ. Yes they are lazy, but they just never say die.

Budget? Probably between 4,000 and 7,000 quid.

Henri, no 1HZ 80s here - GX never came to the UK (or not many!). Your choices are 1HD-T or 1HD-FT. In UK-spec both models have 3 x difflocks but the HD-FT is manual only. If you want a HD-FT in auto, you would need to buy a Jap import - there are a few number of these around in the UK but most of these imports do not have the axle diff-locks.

Your budget looks right - with a bit of time, you should be able to get 5 manual HD-FTs in that price range. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now this was the response I was expecting. A true LC brotherhood. Thanks again.

On the accessories, I was thinking to pack a container here with all we will need and shipping it before we leave. RTT? I was thinking of these 3sec tent jobs. I have 2 of them and they work a treat.

First we still need to get a name list together and then we need to allocate moneys. Then we can start identifying potential cars. So, please keep an eye open, but we are not ready to buy yet.

This is the homework phase. So lots of work to be done yet...

Mine started life as a GX 3F but now has a 1HDFT and I love it to bits.

The difflocks are not that important. Nor will the winch be. We will be concentrating on the major routes.

Yes the guys have done it in CV2's, RR's and even VW beatles. But who would want to. That is why we are going for the LC's. Lots of packing place and totally reliable.

Perhaps another option, if you are sticking to major routes could be the 100 series IFS, they are currently a bit more expensive than 80 series but can represent excellent value for money. They are all a bit newer obviously and most would have better service histories.
Also with regard to Andrews comments on the price differences on RTT etc and your comments on looking at moving a container over, could there be any mileage in shipping stuff over for us at the same time and the carriage costs could be split up, just a thought. It might however make the whole operation a minefield ;)

You bet. I will pack that container to the hilt. On the ship you don't pay for weight. You pay a fixed price for the container. So yes, I am sure there will be space.

I would love a 100VX. But I am afraid that "Africa" doesn't like the 100VX. They prefer the 105GX. We will be going for something that we can sell in Zim, Zambia, Moz, Bots. In the whole of the SADC region. (We can't import into ZA. They are scared that the motor manufacturers will loose out.) That is why we pay through our noses for used vehicles.

Henri,
Don't know if you're continuing with your plans but if you are, there is a very nice looking 80 on the UK Autotrader, item no. 201040369800563. It looks very clean, full service history, low miles for a '96 80.
I have no connection with the seller and have not seen the vehicle in the flesh but I reckon it looks like a decent price for a good truck.

Cheers,

andyw said:
That numbers not working.
Sadly that's because the ad is no longer there - presumably sold. :( It was a '96 model HD-FT manual (GS Model) with around 130k on the clock for just under £5k. FSH and looked immaculate inside and out!

Back