Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for tools list for HZJ-78

TravelToy

Country Flag
belgium
Hi all,

As my Troopy build is almost complete I'm now looking into stuff like tool kits, first aid kits, recovery kits, etc ...
I'm by no means a mechanic, but still, some tools may come in handy in the odd case something small and easy to fix should break.
So, apart from a hammer and some cable ties, what is your "must have" set of tools for the Troopy ?

Troopy.jpg

Just the normal spanners and sockets 54mm hub nut socket and the right size allan wrench to get the FWH off the hub,99% of stuff is the same as any Cruiser

Living in the scrub..... I have a few basics as I am on bush roads all the time. Obviously you will have a set of sockets (metric) and a set of ring spanners. Set of Jumper leads, Spare fuel filters (never know when you'll get dodgy fuel). Tubeless tyre repair kit and compressor. I have driven thousands of rough K's on plugs.... not just one either... 3 or four at times. I think my best was Seven out cattle mustering beyond Meekatharra.... But a must have! Fuses....... a bit of electrical wire and cutters and crimpers. Multimeter... just an inexpensive one.... they are invaluable for solving problems... you just need to learn the basics. Continuum, (checking fuses) , voltage charge etc. A good 4 way wheel brace and a small trolley jack. Jacks in toyotas are pieces of crap, they wont even get under the axle if you have a rear flat. Toyotas answer is put a rock under the wheel and drive up on it...... (real good if you are in the great sandy desert or on the beach). A strong block of wood or metal, just in case you need a base to stop the jack sinking. CRC or WD40. UHF radios are also a must... outback anyway.... each station has its own uhf channel.... (no phone reception) Even on the road a uhf can tell you problems far in advance like flooded roads, accidents, Police road blocks etc... Toyotas are a magnicent piece of machineary, tough, rugged and reliable. Only thing that comes close are Suzukis... by crikey there is just about nowhere those little buggers won't go... but horses for coarses... Enjoy your trip.. whenever you may be allowed out to play.....

+1 for both of the above. I also carry a set pliers (long nose, normal, water pump)/ mole grips/ screwdriver inc set of bits (inc electrical bits)/ stanley knife/ rubber mallet/ grease gun/ circlip pliers/ oil remover tool/ inspection mirror/ extending magnetic retriever thing/ set of allen keys and possibly a few other that I chuck in at the last minute.

This is what I would take away on a long trip where I was going to be well away from immediate help and along with a set of spares would hopefully be enough for me to fix the problem or make a temp repair to get to a garage. What you take really depends on where you are going and your level of mechanical knowledge.

Nice looking Troopy BTW.

Back