Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy low mileage 80 series

None on the advert but this is the car.

IMG_4822.JPG IMG_4823.JPG IMG_4824.JPG IMG_4825.JPG

To be fair I'd rather have the diesel and I might wait for one to come up but I have a few cars and i need to buy the best interior I can find or I'll never drive it so was willing to look at both petrol and diesel cars.

This particular car either wasn't serviced for a few years or details of servicing wasn't recorded.

I agree with you that the Mot history doesn't shine.

I'm not sure that buying an 80 for the interior is going to be the best of strategies if I'm honest with you. There are typically far more important criteria when considering one of these older vehicles than the state of the seats. I appreciate that this is your number one criteria but running gear and body work are usually more important that some thing that can be fixed by an interior upholsterer.

That one looks nice but 8k for a petrol???? Why an 80 when you could probably get something like a Range Rover for less with a nice inside.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That does look a nice tidy example in the pics, bit over priced for petrol imo, my R plate with 71k was about half that nearly 4 years ago.

I'm not sure that buying an 80 for the interior is going to be the best of strategies if I'm honest with you. There are typically far more important criteria when considering one of these older vehicles than the state of the seats. I appreciate that this is your number one criteria but running gear and body work are usually more important that some thing that can be fixed by an interior upholsterer.

That one looks nice but 8k for a petrol???? Why an 80 when you could probably get something like a Range Rover for less with a nice inside.
The petrol trucks do seem to have the better interiors generally. Let's just say a chap I know who breaks them locally always gets the best leathers from them. I believe mine in the 24v auto came from a petrol truck. I guess mpg figures keep the milage and ultimately wear lower. Agree with chris though mechanical condition is far more important. Nice seats in a knackered truck ain't gonna cut it for you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not willing to buy a knackered truck just because it has great interior, What I want is a good car WITH great interior. I have a 2013 RR sport so I'm in no rush it's just that I've wanted a nice example for a while.

Price is high compared to what's out there but I can't find another 80 be it petrol or diesel with less than 100k miles. What do you think this is worth? I would want someone to check it out.

I did think about importing but that will be a lot more hassle and I'm not going to Japan to check it out before buying.

Last edited:
It's a good point you raise MMM. It might be better to get a good vehicle and drop a petrol interior into it. It broadens the options when looking. OK so you are unlikely to find one with a pristine interior that is knackered underneath. But then finding a low mileage immaculate 80 20 years on is a bit unlikely to begin with. A collector might have one stored away, but the chances of one just popping up are slim. My green 80 is super but I couldn't get away with calling it immaculate. It's certainly not as good as the one in the pictures. BTW the driver's seat control button is missing. It's only £7 from Toyota, but that would need fixing. If it's the whole panel then they are £90 used.

Hi Bund. Understood. Not sure how long you have been following these pages before joining, but a really good 80 is the sort of Holy Grail if you will. It's like finding a two horned unicorn, named Dennis who can pay the flute, speak 7 different languages and make a souffle. The youngest of these vehicles is nearly two decades old.

They were expensive cars when new and for the main part mostly dealer maintained probably up to their second owner. After that they became workhorses and other than changing the oil, many saw very little maintenance of the big greasy parts. I've been chasing an immaculate blue 24v owned by the vicar since new for at least 10 years now and never seen one. Well we did get a glimpse once on here with a collector who had a red 80 with something like 30k on the clock. We're not sure if it sold by the price tag was rumoured to be around £15k
Personally I'd have bought it at that if I'd had the chance. Most out there really need work; and not just the interior.

That blue petrol one might check out to be nice. They drive beautifully. If you only want one for the weekend and a drive in the country then the economy might not be a problem. Otherwise they are thirsty but then owning a RR you'll know about that. Personally I wouldn't want to pay much more then £5k for that but I can't influence what they're asking for it.

We can keep a look out for a good 80 but being really honest, in many cases if someone sees such a rarity they're more likely to go and buy it themselves. But we'll help if we can.

It's a good point you raise MMM. It might be better to get a good vehicle and drop a petrol interior into it. It broadens the options when looking. OK so you are unlikely to find one with a pristine interior that is knackered underneath. But then finding a low mileage immaculate 80 20 years on is a bit unlikely to begin with. A collector might have one stored away, but the chances of one just popping up are slim. My green 80 is super but I couldn't get away with calling it immaculate. It's certainly not as good as the one in the pictures. BTW the driver's seat control button is missing. It's only £7 from Toyota, but that would need fixing. If it's the whole panel then they are £90 used.

That's a good spot on the seat!

I agree that a low mileage example is going to be hard to find and as this advert didn't have photos I was sceptical about this car existing but apparently it does and fits the bill.

Are there favoured garages for series? I still would want an independent inspection prior to taking the car.

A nice person put me into this board only yesterday.

I think £5k from £7.9 is a stretch to far. I'll see it so I have comparisons but can't judge how much they want to sell it but guy did say would be double if diesel.

If its what you want and ticks all the boxes for you then go for it. At 60 000 miles it's got to be one of the lowest milage ones left. Obviously depends on what it's like mechanical wise. If its as good as it should be even at the asking price you won't lose a shed load of money on it , especially over a few years. As Chris rightly said good 80's diesel or petrol are becoming a rare beast. £5000 seems to be the price on any truck that can boast a mot and fresh oil at the moment. Spoke to a guy in the garage local to me last week. He pulled up in a clean petrol 80 next to my truck looking at it and a conversation about cruisers naturally struck up. He told me he was a Mercedes man for 20 odd years . He Recons his petrol 80 is the best car he ever owned.

Rust is the only main thing I look out for now, Everything else can be fixed fairly easily.

I tend to look at what tow bar is fitted too. As Chris said most of these tended to be work horses after a few years old so a big nasty plant hitch on the back points to me that it's had a hard life.

We have have a petrol 80 here that is being used for parts. It came from London and has never had a tow bar fitted, it's one of the best I've seen condition wise. Shame as the headgasket has gone.

If its what you want and ticks all the boxes for you then go for it. At 60 000 miles it's got to be one of the lowest milage ones left. Obviously depends on what it's like mechanical wise. If its as good as it should be even at the asking price you won't lose a shed load of money on it , especially over a few years. As Chris rightly said good 80's diesel or petrol are becoming a rare beast. £5000 seems to be the price on any truck that can boast a mot and fresh oil at the moment. Spoke to a guy in the garage local to me last week. He pulled up in a clean petrol 80 next to my truck looking at it and a conversation about cruisers naturally struck up. He told me he was a Mercedes man for 20 odd years . He Recons his petrol 80 is the best car he ever owned.

Cool!

Someone mentioned a member to contact about checking it out for me mechanically but that May of been on TLOC.

It's actually near j11-12 on m25 not 9 as I previously said.

We can keep a look out for a good 80 but being really honest, in many cases if someone sees such a rarity they're more likely to go and buy it themselves. But we'll help if we can.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned above. I know at least 15 people who are on the look for the best of the best and even if they own one or two 80s they will still buy another.
Forums aren't the best place to try and find these truck as most of us on here are wanting the same thing.

The petrol is a great motor to drive, so smooth, quiet and not short of power. I can get upto 22mpg on a good run and anything below that is acceptable. Tweak the timing and run 98 octane it'll be even nicer.
Can take it further and re map etc but depends what you want from it.

They produce a fair bit of heat so the cooling system needs to be in good condition, you get a warm left leg driving one!
Being a low miler the exhaust if original can rot from the inside due to condensation/water not being steamed off (Mine had done that) make sure both cat converters are fitted, I looked at a couple that only had 1 and the other wasn't in great condition.

Budget for a full service if no record of all the the fluids being changed recently, use genuine filters and spark plugs, the plug leads could be getting brittle too, highly recommend magnecor leads if needs them.
The usual front axle strip is never a bad idea of hasn't been done. I've got Toyota service history untill I bought it and the axle/wheel bearings had never been apart.

Oil leaks from the rear crankshaft seal, low mileage can cause seals to dry out,go hard and leak, it's a big time consuming job and £90 for the seal.

I had issues with sticky calipers and lack of use probably didn't help them.
Usual areas to check for rust in wheel arches etc.

Im not fussed about leather or fabric but would prefer manual. Is it really big money when the miles are taken into consideration? That said I don't know anything about what people want but is the diesel worth twice as much a comparable petrol?

Would you trust a mechanic who hasn't worked on loads of these to check it over if i gave him a list of the points you guys raise?

Ive called and they're going to call me back with history, again quite a few advisories on the last MOT. I wouldn't contemplate paying anything like for a car if it wasn't up to scratch which i think is fair.

Back