Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy: Rust on frame acceptable

Welcome Bov, I've just gone through all this. These are the most common Cruiser on sale and most look like a pier underneath. They all look pretty to very good on top but underneath is all too often poor. The one I bought was the 10th I looked at and like a 4 year old underneath with 4 owners and 6 years of self maintenance by the PO it goes to show that full TSH isn't necessary. Keep looking and and don't compromise a good one underneath will be found.

@Higgy has one for sale I think? Don’t know what it’s like underneath but would guess it’s reasonable.

That rust doesn’t look to me like it’s been treated TBH. I could be wrong of course.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

@Higgy has one for sale I think? Don’t know what it’s like underneath but would guess it’s reasonable.

That rust doesn’t look to me like it’s been treated TBH. I could be wrong of course.

Welcome to the forum BTW.
That's very kind of you StarCruiser... But mine is beyond help, very good underneath and all round. with many new parts. But the engine, my god, iv never heard such a racket, In My case D4d Stands for Destined 4 destruction.... I think mine will be spares or repair if I put it back on ebay.. Viewing welcome tho !:lol:

That's very kind of you StarCruiser... But mine is beyond help, very good underneath and all round. with many new parts. But the engine, my god, iv never heard such a racket, In My case D4d Stands for Destined 4 destruction.... I think mine will be spares or repair if I put it back on ebay.. Viewing welcome tho !:lol:
You've not figured out this selling thing yet have you? Maybe some complimentary ear defenders with the purchase?

You've not figured out this selling thing yet have you? Maybe some complimentary ear defenders with the purchase?
Fair comment Nick. To be honest iv past caring..I had nearly 700 views, on ebay and not a sniff of interest... Id be embarrassed to take em on a test drive.. Run it till it goes POP! Then break it for spares Im not even getting myself worked up about it anymore...:lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fair comment Nick. To be honest iv past caring..I had nearly 700 views, on ebay and not a sniff of interest... Id be embarrassed to take em on a test drive.. Run it till it goes POP! Then break it for spares Im not even getting myself worked up about it anymore...:lol:
You may well end up running it for a long time then Higgy as they have a tendency to run on and on , but if you think it is more noisy than it should be , it could well be the injectors are out of tolerance , when I lived in Huddersfield up till the end of Feb this year , in cold weather when setting off from stand still or slow speed my 120 sounded like some one hammering the side of the engine with a hammer , and would vibrate the whole car when stopped at junctions and lights in drive after 5 miles it sounded much better and stopped shaking when stopping and holding it in drive , here in Cyprus even at start up driving away its much smoother and much quieter , and inside the car you would think you were driving a petrol 120 , If you can check it against other 120s to see what they sound like when cold , Car dealers warm them up before you come to try them , if they know you going to look at one .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tony.. iv looked at other forums, even old posts from TLOC, from way back and another club called Toyota owners and they all seem to mention this dreadful racket from the engine.. some have spent a fortune changing Injectors, some were done under warranty even..But most said it changed little regarding the noise. mine starts first time, never smokes, Idles bang on where it should. ... But its unacceptable, the noise at any level I even coast while going through town or built up areas. watching mothers and small children clutching their hands to their ears while fleeing for their lives.. Frowned looks from other motorists at the lights.. 'What was that old Toyota Advert on TV.. The car in front of the car behind, is........... F'@<ked:lol:.. You gotta laugh! Or was it Volvo, Cant remember

Last edited:
Thanks Tony.. iv looked at other forums, even old posts from TLOC, from way back and another club called Toyota owners and they all seem to mention this dreadful racket from the engine.. some have spent a fortune changing Injectors, some were done under warranty even..But most said it changed little regarding the noise. mine starts first time, never smokes, Idles bang on where it should. ... But its unacceptable, the noise at any level I even coast while going through town or built up areas. watching mothers and small children clutching their hands to their ears while fleeing for their lives.. Frowned looks from other motorists at the lights.. 'What was that old Toyota Advert on TV.. The car in front of the car behind, is........... F'@<ked:lol:.. You gotta laugh! Or was it Volvo, Cant remember
Is your 120 engine noise as bad when fully warmed up , and was it as bad when fully warmed up in the summer weather say over 25 centigrade .

I'm not sure if i've mentioned it to you specifically Higgy , but i do recall someone doing all you've done to fix an engine rattle only to find it was caused by the pipework going through the wing to bring air up to the airbox filter .

Is your 120 engine noise as bad when fully warmed up , and was it as bad when fully warmed up in the summer weather say over 25 centigrade .
If you start it up from cold ( no throttle) just tick over, all is sweet. I was talking to someone down the marina with the engine running , and they commented on how nice it sounded...BUT. put 'yer' foot any where near the throttle and all hell is let loose, sounds like tappets bouncing, Injector knock. Old style pinking, all rolled into one. Right through the rev range doesn't matter what speed. or what rev, Iv been in contact with Toyota, Previous garage who did last 10 services. My Toyota APP. and there is no record of injectors/ injector seals/seats recorded for works carried out. so don't know if last owner had it done or not... IF not I think it will be ready for injectors at least... Its done 190,000.. With my old collie clocking up 285,000. I don't think the 120 is high mileage...but then the Colorado engine is far superior to the D4d.....

Last edited:
I'm not sure if i've mentioned it to you specifically Higgy , but i do recall someone doing all you've done to fix an engine rattle only to find it was caused by the pipework going through the wing to bring air up to the airbox filter .
Thanks Shayne ... Oh I wish it were just a rattle... I think there's more going on than that...

There's a heck of lot of components crammed into what looks like a small space in the cylinder head of the 3.0/2.5 d4d, when I looked under the rocker cover of the one I have. The cam lobes are 1/2 the size of the earlier 1kzte.. so it made me think "how rugged is this?"

So when you combine that with injector problems, then it looks like they'll be noisy! Fantastic when running well, different when running noisy!

Does it have a knock sensor? Wonder if it’s become disconnected or faulty. Would probably throw up a CEL and a fault code though.

If you start it up from cold ( no throttle) just tick over, all is sweet. I was talking to someone down the marina with the engine running , and they commented on how nice it sounded...BUT. put 'yer' foot any where near the throttle and all hell is let loose, sounds like tappets bouncing, Injector knock. Old style pinking, all rolled into one. Right through the rev range doesn't matter what speed. or what rev, Iv been in contact with Toyota, Previous garage who did last 10 services. My Toyota APP. and there is no record of injectors/ injector seals/seats recorded for works carried out. so don't know if last owner had it done or not... IF not I think it will be ready for injectors at least... Its done 190,000.. With my old collie clocking up 285,000. I don't think the 120 is high mileage...but then the Colorado engine is far superior to the D4d.....
To see if the injector seals are leaking and causing carbon blocking oil strainer and starving engine of oil next time you do an oil change when oil is drained look up the oil drain with a torch and look at the strainer to see if it has carbon on the strainer ,take a pic with your phone and enlarge the pic to see if its blocked , also after 200 k miles I would think it might need different size valve shims especially if it has not had regular oil changes and with fully synthetic oil . I have heard of people changing shims to the cams with out removing cams etc , by using magnets on a extending penn like car aerial , you can check valve clearance with cams in place and use the strong magnet on a penn to remove and add shims , and have a look how long the oil pressure light takes to go out on start up or if it comes on again when engine is running especially when engine is cold , or sudden acceleration ,

The engine clatter especially when cold was a constant source of annoyance on the black D4D Collie. I had the injectors tested at Mr T and they were apparently were in good health but it always sounded like a souped up tractor engine to me. It wasn't too bad at motorway speeds with the CC on but it was always there, it was one of the reasons I let it go.
The 120 is a revelation in comparison, smooth and quiet even when cold ( for a 4 cyl engine) but some of the 120's I tried on the way to getting it weren't any better than the Collie so I guess they vary quite a bit.

Thanks for all your comments, It has full history, and in some cases had oil and filter changes twice in a year.. Iv just done oil/filter and did have a look at the mesh strainer, all was good, The oil I dropped was very thin, I even thought mmmm! Diesel in oil, But all was good I checked for diesel contamination and re measured what came out (About 7 .2 litres).. so I ruled that out... I registered with the 'My Toyota App' This gives you a file on all works carried out by Toyota on your vehicle, Apart from servicing and the odd wing mirror replacement, and brakes there is nothing mentioned regarding Injectors etc, or any major/minor engine works.. Im just pissed off I don't have time to be doing this. I just wanted to buy a truck and use it.. Not spend half my time fixing and setting up Apps and making phone calls... I bought the truck in Aug its now November and I havnt even done a 1000 miles yet.. And whats the round about figure for injectors on these ? Not much change out of £800 I bet. sorry but no way... Good morning anyway! Its my Missus Birthday Today:thumbup:

Thanks for all your comments, It has full history, and in some cases had oil and filter changes twice in a year.. Iv just done oil/filter and did have a look at the mesh strainer, all was good, The oil I dropped was very thin, I even thought mmmm! Diesel in oil, But all was good I checked for diesel contamination and re measured what came out (About 7 .2 litres).. so I ruled that out... I registered with the 'My Toyota App' This gives you a file on all works carried out by Toyota on your vehicle, Apart from servicing and the odd wing mirror replacement, and brakes there is nothing mentioned regarding Injectors etc, or any major/minor engine works.. Im just pissed off I don't have time to be doing this. I just wanted to buy a truck and use it.. Not spend half my time fixing and setting up Apps and making phone calls... I bought the truck in Aug its now November and I havnt even done a 1000 miles yet.. And whats the round about figure for injectors on these ? Not much change out of £800 I bet. sorry but no way... Good morning anyway! Its my Missus Birthday Today:thumbup:
Happy birthday tell her , hope you both have a lovely day .

Does it have a knock sensor? Wonder if it’s become disconnected or faulty. Would probably throw up a CEL and a fault code though.
No Fault codes, nothing in history (Apart from Turbo incident) nothing pending, Toyota said if it doesn't throw up a code or an EML, They would be guessing like everyone else.. Last week I put 60litre of Diesel in and chucked in a bottle of injector cleaner.. Not sure how many times you have to do this to notice any change. If any.

Back