Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Loss of power under hard acceleration

Ajay Ramesh

Country Flag
qatar
Hi folks
I drive a lc 200 4.0 v6 2008 ..I faced similar problem all of a sudden.
I was on short vacation for 25 days and havent driven her for almost a month. When I returned, i found drastic loss of power on hard acceleration. She was not ready to go more 2000 rpms..engine was running and when I pumped accelerator, she will pick up the pace.
Took her to the garage and cleaned the air filter and oxygen intake sensor..she is back and running great after clean up.
QUOTE="ManOfTheWest, post: 1438896, member: 15251"]Well, it didn't take me long to have my first problem with the Land Cruiser. Today, the wife had her first drive in the LC. As we were going up a steep hill a few minutes after setting out, she commented favourably on the power. I urged her to floor the throttle and storm up to the top. She did so but as we came over the crest of the hill the vehicle started to decelerate, though she still had the accelerator pedal firmly down.

We managed to get it over to the side of the road and park it, then we sat there puzzled. The engine was fine. When I gave it some throttle the car would try to move forward but just not go anywhere. Reverse worked fine. Eventually after a few minutes it recovered (how?) and we were able to carry on with our journey. On the way home it was fine, though I was careful not to accelerate hard.

Then I remembered that yesterday on the way home after buying the car I had overtaken a slow vehicle and floored the throttle. The LC was doing about 60 mph as I passed the other car and for a few seconds I felt the engine sort of surging; accelerating and falling back, accelerating and falling back. Then as I completed the overtake, I pulled back into my lane and slowed down and forgot about it.

So, are the two issues related? A problem that only emerges when the vehicle accelerates hard? My local mechanic is going to inspect it next week but he thought, without having had a chance to look at it, that it might be fuelling. He knows his onions, so I'm confident we can sort it out, but in the meantime does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the cause? A bit of crap in the fuel filter perhaps? Or, in a different area, something to do with the clutch?

EDIT: It's an automatic, sorry for not making that clear.

Thanks
Dan[/QUOTE]

Hi Ajay,
I know its been long. I too felt my LC 200 was not powerful enough. Its a 4.5 V8 diesel. I took it to Toyota, another dealer, had a friend drive it every one felt its fine just get used to the weight of it.
I am still thinking should it be more powerful.
Did you have any diagnosis on why your car behaved like that.

Back