Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lots of condensation, windscreen freezing on inside, etc... Solutions?

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
I have a condensation problem, the front windscreen gets totally saturated with condensation and the inside of it freezes along with the outside of it obviously. The sunroof also has same issue, large droplets on it and freezes. I currently have the headlining removed to examine the sunroof for leaks etc, mine has no drains version, anyway I'm going to hose water over it tomorrow evening with a mate to see if it leaks.

In the hard frost this morning, I also had some condensation and frozen droplets on the roof front to back.

I've googled and researched this, have checked the following:
- no obvious leaks in footwells, under carpets, etc...
- coolant not dropping, no leaky heate matrix.
- no sign of any water pooling in the interior

Anyone got any suggestions to check what might be the cause of such excess condensation.
I have had the windscreen replaced a few years ago, it seems to be sealed ok, no obvious leaks, but I've read on google where some folk have remedied their condensation issue by getting their replacement windscreen re-replaced.

I closed all the cabin vents and turned the air to re-circulate last night when parked as I read cold moisture air could get in via them but made no difference, thing frozen solid this morning. My daily 2008 Golf was only frozen on the windscreen exterior in comparison, both parked same place.

If the sunroof isn't leaking, what else could cause this?

The only time I've had this problem is when I had soaked carpets due to water Ingress. When I located and fixed the leak I lifted and dried the carpets and underlay with a fan heater. If you are certain there are no leaks the first thing to do is dry out the interior completely with heaters or dehumidifiers etc. In Summer it will dry itself over several days but in usual Winter weather, no chance. I'd dry the windows and painted surfaces with towels, then get 2 or 3 of those dehumidifier crystal packs and leave those in. If you have working aircon, use that whenever you're driving. Even with the heater on hot setting the evaporator will condense water vapour in the air and drain to outside the vehicle.

Put a dehumidifier overnight in most cars the age of ours and i bet it collects a few pints of water .

Last edited:
When the carpet get wet, it’s not necessary that you can see water pooling above. When you touch the floor carpet with your hands and it feels a bit damp, the underside would already be pooling with water absorbed by those thick carpet insulation stuff. You need to flip the carpet up to check, happened to my Lexus, wind screen frozen inside, no obvious water pooling, but underside of carpet soaked. End up found out that water leaked in from tailgate through cracked weld joints over time.

Last edited:
Check you're water drains are clear - take the cowling off and give them a good clean / blow out.

Maybe also check the door / window seals for leaks using an ultrasonic leak detector.

Dehumidifiers are ok up to a point, but unless the area is airtight you will be dragging some damp air in from outside which can give a false impression of water collected.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think i had this problem once , not ice just ridiculous condensation inside the windows . Never worked out why because i put the heater on full , opened the drivers window just a tiny bit , and left the truck ticking over in the backyard all day .

Problem solved and it never came back ?

OK, had a similar with my 1998 KZJ95!

Point 1: The water has to come in somewhere. If you have rubber mats, check underneath. For me the drivers side carpet was always damp after wet weather, under the rubber mat. After a few years, I realised that the problem actually was in the engine bay- there is a large grommet (drivers side) to allow cable penetration to the interior. The 'professionals' who installed the alarm system (prior to my ownership) had pushed their cable through this grommet and destroyed its integrity!!!!!

Note that all the water that runs down the screen and through the scuttle freely drains away INSIDE the engine bay to the left and right sides. The problem is always prevalent in the winter when wetter and less warmth to dry everything out!!

The solution to my leak was a simple taped on rubber flap to ensure the water drained over the grommet and not through it. Photos taken on a wet day clearly show the drainage over flap.

I have never had a problem with excessive internal condensation since. Do let us know if/when you resolve the issue.
Good luck
Mike

Attachments

• flap1.jpg
    flap1.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 23
  • flap2.jpg
    flap2.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 20
Back