Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Low box downhill

G

My on;y previous experience off road is in a manual box range rover which will in low 1st. stop on almost any downhill gradient. It was therefore, when assisting with marshaling at a AWDC safari event, and driving the course. that when faced with a steep descent with an auto box, I approached it with a little trepidation. After selecting low 1st I was truly amazed at the engine breaking and would only need low 1st on really steep gradients.Also found that with diff locks the LC will go anywhere even with BFG AT tyres which by the way are excellent on and off road. Rescued a stricken racer that had disappeared down an embankment. Not sure that he realised how lucky he was to have been towed out by a LC. Overhangs front and rear are the real problem and I intend to fit some sort of skid plate at the rear to prevent damage.
Regards Kirk

Hi Kirk
Thanks for the insight. I found it had just that bit too much forward movement. The desent at which I bent /crushed the bumper was a steep short hill up out of water, then emediatly straight down into a steep up again straight away. Ah well live and learn I say.
The tow bar at the back is great for the rear protection, I could hear it bang hard. I reakon with out it I would have lost the rear bumper no problem, so its staying on. I will have to look into getting someone to do a bit of underbody protection sooner rather than later and of course the front bumper.
cheers
John
92HDJ 80 1HDT rep of Ireland

Back