Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lower tailgate carpet replacement

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Folks, I have still got the carpet on the lower tailgate drop down, and I am keen to replace it with a piece of metal or another material, so that I can cook on/chop things up etc...
Any top tips on this?
Metal and thickness to be used, should I get it coated??
What's the best way to fix it down??
Anybody got any made up for sale??
Anybody good pictures??
Also I think I saw somebody had a table mounted of the side, any other good ideas, cuddly hole ??

I changed mine for 3mm Ali and river nutted it on with csk m6 bolts.

Didn't link the temperature it got left open in the sun so I covered in 3mm rubber which I just evostickEd it on.

Works really well.

Cheers Stu, so rivnut is the best way to fix? Any links to the rubber you added?? I always think that a thin chopping board material would make a good top, but never find a piece big enough.

Did you use the existing carpet piece as a template for the Ali?? Lots of questions

Actually I think I used csk rivets now thinking of it.

Sorry the rubber just some I picked up in my job.

I did use the old carpet for a pattern.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im at the early stages of making one of these, at the moment mine will probable split in two, will keep track of cost to see if anyone is interested.

I'm tempted but I've got far too many projects on at the moment. I love the second one but would personally want to do something to protect the door lock mechanism and rods. Maybe an internal tray option.

Second one in black looks perfect but price less so. Always the case with great products is being able to get your hand on em!!

Didn't Chris do a group buy on these? he may have one left over of someone may be willing to sell.

Price looks pretty good from my experience with the doors. Costs can easily run away for one offs and prototypes are hellishly expensive to produce even if you get it right first time.
Get enough together sobthe laser cutter can run some good numbers and they become affordable.

Last edited:
Didn't Chris do a group buy on these? he may have one left over of someone may be willing to sell.
I think it all went pear shaped Stu. Though I think the rehab sessions have stopped I believe he still has nightmares about the whole thing. It almost put me off proceeding with the gullwings.

Folks, I have still got the carpet on the lower tailgate drop down, and I am keen to replace it with a piece of metal or another material, so that I can cook on/chop things up etc...
Any top tips on this?
Metal and thickness to be used, should I get it coated??
What's the best way to fix it down??
Anybody got any made up for sale??
Anybody good pictures??
Also I think I saw somebody had a table mounted of the side, any other good ideas, cuddly hole ??
Do you sit on your tailgate a lot? Alu wont be as plush or luxurious as the carpet..

I used 3mm ally sheet, used the carpet as a template.
Rivnuts in the tailgate and m6 bolts to hold it down.
It's bare ally but haven't got round to getting it powder coated yet.

Used for cooking on etc.

20170209_222659.jpg

I used 3mm ally sheet, used the carpet as a template.
Rivnuts in the tailgate and m6 bolts to hold it down.
It's bare ally but haven't got round to getting it powder coated yet.

Used for cooking on etc.

View attachment 113551

I like that...a lot. I'm not really a camper (caravan doesn't count) or overlander but I use a Coleman stove etc when fishing something like that would be ideal. Currently I just have the carpet covered with a layer of vinyl cloth from an old boat cover but it's succumbed to hot pans in a couple of places. Did you use a jigsaw to cut the Ali?

I like that...a lot. I'm not really a camper (caravan doesn't count) or overlander but I use a Coleman stove etc when fishing something like that would be ideal. Currently I just have the carpet covered with a layer of vinyl cloth from an old boat cover but it's succumbed to hot pans in a couple of places. Did you use a jigsaw to cut the Ali?

Yes, only had to cut the curved corners as ordered the ally cut to the right length/width. Quite often put hot pans/ kettle on it with no problems.

Have been on with a table attachment that fits on the swing out wheel carrier which will be for the stoves. Make it easier when want to be in a drawer or the fridge

I did this before Xmas on my J10 Project vehicle.
It came with 1,5mm alloy.
Alloy is NOT ideal if You intend to cook on it.
I opted for a 9mm plywood. I removed the original plugs & inserted pop-nuts instead. Then transpered the bolt pattern to the 9mm marine grade ply & laid down the 1mm stainless steel food grade (316) ontop.
EVERSO slight snag between the SS top & the smal flap between the body & the lower tail gate. Nothing that bothers me tbh.

Tell me if You need pics

Back