Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Made In Portugal.

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
I'm not sure which market their destined for, but their right hand drive, so I'm thinking South Africa. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_3754_zpsrbbmizxi.jpg

IMG_3755_zpshapnlupu.jpg

IMG_3756_zpsxv0e0kcw.jpg

IMG_3757_zpszrb7cpgs.jpg

IMG_3758_zpsxplo438z.jpg

IMG_3759_zpslohkgmgq.jpg

IMG_3760_zpslgt74fi5.jpg

IMG_3761_zpsex4kjkfm.jpg

IMG_3762_zpstiqn4rpr.jpg

IMG_3763_zpsiwtuzmgi.jpg

IMG_3764_zpscron9vgr.jpg

IMG_3765_zpseafeemih.jpg

IMG_3766_zps5ikb9ruh.jpg

IMG_3767_zps5uzyhxe0.jpg

There is that 1 person and a bit of another. .. bit the pics have a oddly deserted look about the place.

RHD and being built in Portugal. So we were discussing this info and my good lady linked the cessation of Defender production ...
Maybe, just maybe, there is a link.
And the lack of people? Are they just getting things set up ready for a launch???

regards,

In Portugal, The Salvador Caetano Group started its car business in 1968, with the importation and representation of Toyota and does indeed have a plant in Ovar (District of Aveiro) for the production and assembly of the Toyota Land Cruiser 70-Series (probably for the African Market). Maybe the pics were taken during the 'lunch hour', which runs through most of the afternoon. If anyone is overlanding through Northern Portugal in the future, maybe pop in and have a look at the production line.

Having had a small amount of pre-full production experience in motor manufacture (albeit a long time ago) it looks to me like those are pre-prod engineers setting up/checking line/timing and flow. Obviously I could be wrong but it could be a further 'wing' to increase output. I don't see any JIT parts awaiting fitting so it implies, IMO, creation of a new line.

Very interesting though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Isn't that the v8 engine . If so, not legal in the EU anymore?

I noticed the parts line missing too. It's pre-production for sure, when running, that line will look like organized chaos, IME.

Great to see them being built though, I just don't know why they've opted for so much chrome on a work ute, it looks awful IMO.

I think the chrome bits look great. It adds a touch of class and that 4.5 turbo'd diesel engine is a beauty. I had the pleasure of driving a standard one in OZ.

Am I wrong in thinking if a vehicle is made in the EU it gets a dispensation and is allowed to be sold in the EU?

I've got an update on this.........................

So it transpires that the pics were taken when the Portuguese LandCruiser club visited the factory accompanied by Paul from West Coast Off Road in the UK, who was over there on a 4wd trip. :icon-cool:

Apparently the factory was in a beautiful area in the North of the country and the tour was a complete one off.

Heres a few more pics that West Coast shared on facebook. :)

IMG_4544_zps8iskqu4l.jpg

IMG_4545_zps9ysukpam.jpg

IMG_4546_zpse9eazbmh.jpg

IMG_4547_zpsfg6fynum.jpg

IMG_4548_zpshwj4cntn.jpg

IMG_4549_zpswmeumk0z.jpg

IMG_4550_zpswpzn0zq5.jpg

IMG_4551_zpscutz8lzk.jpg

IMG_4552_zps55dsfb14.jpg

IMG_4553_zpsu94htsxv.jpg

IMG_4554_zpsl4aoi3nn.jpg

IMG_4555_zpscgh9csmr.jpg