Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Manual gearbox oil discussion.

Yep it looks like that is it Frank, a GL4 with 'some' EP added. I will try to get to Toyota next week, nearest dealer around an hours drive away!

regards

Dave

Reply from GB and TB supplier:

QUOTE "To main your limited warranty we recommended and 80/90 EP gear oil, please follow manufacturers guidelines and specifications when selecting the oil grade" UNQUOTE

Easy get out I suppose but blunt and to the point.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Yep that has GL4 EP as well, I am inland later this week and will be visiting quite a large oil distributor and will also pop in on Toyota.

regards

Dave

Went to the nearest 'big town' and once I had fought through the traffic (both cars were going really slow), and the sup duper lub store and they did not have any 80/90 GL4 or 75/90 synthetic G4 :icon-cry: Tried BP they had a no name oil that proclaimed to have been manufactured in the EU...woo bloody hoo....walked on. Next place had and 80/90 GL4 the oil brand was LADA! Carried on walking, so still looking.

So on to the ITV (MOT) station and 'she' passed first time........except she then failed .............and then she passed and then she failed...but finally passed.......confused?

I won't type it out twice, see it on my MUD thread.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-lc-80-thread.365673/

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@Frank, went to Toyota dealer and gave them the number, whilst the guy is wandering around looking lost I realise that all the spares hanging o the wall (wipers ect) are CITROEN!! "Er I am in the Toyota dealership right?" "Si Signor, but as the Toyota franchise has been purchased by the owner of the Citroen franchise it means we can sell Toyota cars and spares". I continue "but you have no Toyota software on your computers" "Er this is a small problem, I can ring Jose and have your oil here within a week or two". AAAARRGGGGH!!!!!

The guy was trying to sell me his base stock which was a 25 litre drum of 75/90 fully synthetic universal GL5, with the we put it in all our Citroens and we have no problems. When I asked in writing if Toyota would pay for the repairs if he was wrong he again picked up the phone.....no sorry they won't.

Calm yourself Dave...deep breaths...ommmm....ommmmm...ommmm..

OK I am back, this is bloody typical in Spain, and gets on my nerves big time. If the weather was kinder I would be 'home' in a flash, oh and the food a bit more Mediterranean, oh and the traffic a lot less please and...and.

So I have spent around three hours going through catalogues and it seems I can get IIRC Kroner brand oil 75/90 semi synth GL4 this Friday....but I am not holding my breath.

Frank it looks as if I cannot get the number you offered, well not in this part of the planet, I will update as and when something changes.

regards

Dave

Well nothing within a 50+ mile radius has been found that is synthetic or semi synthetic 75/90w GL4. There is some kind of belief that as the number (5) is higher than 4 then it MUST be better, the possibility of getting something out of the catalogue did not happen. The 'stockists' did not have any GL4 in stock so sent GL5, bloody frustrating to say the least!

I have a 1000+ km round trip on the 18th so will need to get my finger out, for now it seems I will have to go with an ordinary mineral 80/90w GL4 until I can source a synthetic.

FWIW the GL5 is still in there, I wanted to get some miles on the car before the long trip to make sure everything else is ok, bearing in mind the amount of time it had been off the road. From cold all gears are pretty easy to select and within 10/15 minutes loosen up a little, shift then remains constant but, I cannot get away from the image of invisible microscopic GL5 gremlins climbing over my synchromesh licking their lips.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
I have a 1000+ km round trip on the 18th so will need to get my finger out, for now it seems I will have to go with an ordinary mineral 80/90w GL4 until I can source a synthetic.

In post #3 of this thread a 75W-90 GL-4 oil is mentioned. It's semi synthetic. Is that not what you want?

Amazon sell it.

In post #3 of this thread a 75W-90 GL-4 oil is mentioned. It's semi synthetic. Is that not what you want?

Amazon sell it.

Yep that is what I want but, they reckon it will be here by the 12th but, it will not get here by the 18th going by Amazons normal performance here in Spain, still I will get a mineral one and order the Amazon product and see what happens.

EDIT: They only have 2X1 litre bottles apparently more is in the way.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
I live on the border of Almeria and Murcia, not a Castrol stockist for bloody miles but, I have found the Syntrans that Towpack uses in Germany! Unsure why the Castrol rep who answered my query did not off this particular oil. I am waaaay over thinking this, going to order Syntrans from Germany.

regards

Dave

Dave, forgive me, but I think you're over stressing on this one.

A new or renewed GB is good for 1,000,000 km. The guarantee that you have is for only for use with EP oil, daft though that may be. If anything goes wrong in the next 1k kms, which it won't, then you're covered with the EP that's in there.

When you get your 75W-90-GL4 put it in, the EP for another 1k kms will do (relatively) very little damage (if any) IMO.

The owners handbook states " multipurpose gear oil GL4 to GL5". That will be the old mineral oil Dave so that will be OK. I can't get it here. I'm using Comma 75w 90 semi synthetic gear oil which is the same as Toyota supplies.

When I said EP is a no no I meant EP hypoid gear oil for hypoid gears. Gear oils have EP additive in them in concentrations increasing up to GL5.

The type of oil you put in won't affect the box breaking down or not during the warranty period so morally you could save the original oil and put it back in in the event of a breakdown, nod nod, wink wink, say no more. Remember to put all the broken bits back in out of the drainings though. :icon-wink:

Dave, forgive me, but I think you're over stressing on this one.QUOTE]

Yep check out post no 31, I do concede to that, I tried to get the Syntrans here but no reply from the sell!

IT'S A CONSPIRACY...IT'S A CONSPIRACY!! :icon-biggrin:

Tuesday I have some time on my hands so will go back to local shop and get some dino oil.

regards

Dave

The owners handbook states " multipurpose gear oil GL4 to GL5". That will be the old mineral oil Dave so that will be OK. I can't get it here. I'm using Comma 75w 90 semi synthetic gear oil which is the same as Toyota supplies.

When I said EP is a no no I meant EP hypoid gear oil for hypoid gears. Gear oils have EP additive in them in concentrations increasing up to GL5.

The type of oil you put in won't affect the box breaking down or not during the warranty period so morally you could save the original oil and put it back in in the event of a breakdown, nod nod, wink wink, say no more. Remember to put all the broken bits back in out of the drainings though. :icon-wink:

I think given the grief I have had first getting the right gearbox delivered and eventually when the right one turned up then finding it was crap on two occasions, and finally getting a decent gearbox/transfer box combination I want to keep it as perfect as it is right now Frank, so probably thinking too deep here mate.

It is a long weekend holiday here so pretty much everywhere is shut until Tuesday, I will have to go and get the dino oil for now. I would have liked the more modern oil purely on the basis that it may actually help maintain the nice shift it has at the moment for a longer period.

regards

Dave

May have an answer,

Toyota specs and GL4

http://www.cepsa.com/cepsa/Products...PSA_Lubricants/CEPSA_Transmisiones_75W90_MV_S

Cepsa garage down the road to me, they do not have this oil but I am sure they can order it? It will be bloody expensive if I know Cepsa and only available in 1 litre containers and 45kg containers...yeh go figure.

It states developed for the latest gearboxes but meets the spec/4 wheel drive and lists Toyota specified. As Cepsa is Spanish and is one of the main players here with petrol garages/outlets all over the place, might be worth a try.

regards

Dave

Last edited:

:laughing-rolling: You're a star Frank! :lol:

I use COMMA SX GL-4 75w90 . Specs Are API GL-4. Gears shift much better when cold compared to the Castrol ( dont remember which 75w90 I had in)before in same conditions. And the price is sweet. About 6 pounds for a litter.

I use COMMA SX GL-4 75w90 . Specs Are API GL-4. Gears shift much better when cold compared to the Castrol ( dont remember which 75w90 I had in)before in same conditions. And the price is sweet. About 6 pounds for a litter.

Someone else recommended that and they had it on Amazon but only 2 litres, I did get a call today from a local spares shop and he assures me he now has the right oil. Will pop in tomorrow and check it out, meanwhile just standing back and showing off the reconditioned wheels that I have just had fitted, PITA to balance when you do not want weights on the outside, but all four now perfect.

regards

Dave

Back