Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Manual pump install 1KZTE

Had a go at checking the pump timing at TDC. In my Max Ellery manual the reading for Europe is 0.39 - 0.43mm, for other countries it is 0.58-0.62mm. Tried it at the Europe setting and it definitely didn't like it so then thought because the pump is from NZ I should set it to the other countries reading? Got some slight engine knock with it set to 0.60mm, may have to trick around with it a bit more. It still runs nice well, wonder if the knock is being caused by something else? Had a few test drives up and down the road, it pulls alright, more speed that I could ever safely need but good to have it in reserve. EGTs seem fine so far, I'm going to be a while tuning things and getting the boost up where it should be. Also the tacho is off so will need to adjust it at some stage.

Take it up a long hill, get some load on the turbo and see where the EGT's max out. It'll give you a good indication of timing and how clean your fuel burn in. I think the retarded timing for europe is for emissions so the 0.60mm should provide better results. You could probably go a little further but you may sacrifice a little down low torque. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Thanks Beau, I was advised by KR to go with 0.77 and the EGTs are much better plus I was getting some pedal/engine vibration when punching the throttle at 0.60 but only marginal now. So the tune seems good for now, getting the turbo to boost to 20psi needs quite a lot of throttle and I haven't actually reached it so far even though the boost controller is fairly winded up. I'm impressed so far, very noticeable gains, may invest in a new turbo down the road though ;)

Surprised you need a lot of throttle to get the boost wound up. I can get up to 15-16 psi pretty easily. Maybe you need to add a little more fuel? Hows the fumes out the exhaust looking? I've heard for these stock turbos 20-25PSI is there limit given the size. They'd boost more, but become inefficient

Surprised you need a lot of throttle to get the boost wound up. I can get up to 15-16 psi pretty easily. Maybe you need to add a little more fuel? Hows the fumes out the exhaust looking? I've heard for these stock turbos 20-25PSI is there limit given the size. They'd boost more, but become inefficient
I wonder is the gauge off, something isn't right, I had to do some minor surgery on the gauge recently so could have bodged it. I'll check the tubing for the boost gauge first anyway. Hard to tell but looks to be burning clean, only smoke if I floor it. Still have some vibration though on hard acceleration so the fuel/air mix may be off but not sure so going to look into getting it on a dyno and hopefully find someone with insight.

Running a little rich down low seems alright especially to get it boosting quick, but you definitely shouldn't be chucking out any black smoke in the upper rpm range if tuned right.

Reactions: CAT
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm a bit confused here. My Toyota manual says standard pressure at max speed (4600rpm) is 7.4 to 9.7 psi, the waste gate opens (abruptly) at 16.7 psi and the max pressure the actuator can stand is 20.5 psi. I tested my waste gate actuator and it opened the gate at about the spec pressure (gauge I used not really accurate to tenths of psi). You guys seem to be using standard turbos if I have read this right but are you guys using different waste gate actuators to get you higher boost? Also the reason I tested mine was as a precaution to check proper operation as I had read excess pressure could contribute to head cracking (mine cracked between valves on 3 & 4 cylinders at 21 years old and 218,000 miles).

You can T into the waste gate line with a manual boost controller to increase the boost.

Back