Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Map reading apps.

wobbly

Garage
I run a Samsung Tab 2 (non 3G) with Android with a 10" screen, and an iphone 3 (not 3G) but can access wifi where available.

I am currently using 3 apps.:

ArcticQuest (Samsung)

The lite version is a bit pointless, as it doesnt allow downloading, so I shelled out the 4.99 for the Pro version.
This allows me to create offline maps, which are good enough for offroad nav.
This allows me to check my position, but so far I havent worked out how to plot routes to follow!
It has good forum support

Everytrail Pro (samsung)

This looked potentially very good, as its easy to set up and plot routes.
Problem I have is trying to get it to work offline, it seems to be a 3G based system, so not ideal if you dont have a 3G tablet.
I got around this by taking screenshots of the entire route - this means I have a map that is detailed enough for use offroad, great when you have a navigator. Downside is that it doesnt give a real time position.

Maps with Me lite (iPhone)

Ive been recomended this by an overland expedition team leader. ive downloaded it, and then switched internet off, and it does indeed give both an offline map and my position - downside is that its a map, not an aerial photo, and the country I want (Portugal) doesnt have maps showing tracks (in fact, some roads arent on the maps!). This means I will be shown apparently in the middle of nowhere, but at least I'll be able to work out the nearest town or village, which is an improvement.

Pete

Last edited:
I too have just bought a Galaxy Tab 2 (non 3g) I would be very interested in any replies, not just for the 4x4 but for wifies hossy rides :) I found an app on play store for France - Sity Trail, it gives you a choice of searching for routes for walking cycling, hossying 4x4 etc. You can then download maps within a radius. You can also download the total for use when no wifi. It cost 25€ a year, but I have a 7 day free trial to play with it.
Steve

I use Back Country Navigator Pro on my Andriod smart phone (Sony Experia Z) and its pretty good. I use it with OS Explorer maps (free) and it has the option to download the map tiles and save them to the phone/tab meaning they are available offline. Not used any other map packages but there are loads available (mostly free too). It can track your location and plot where you have been. Ive heard you can pre-plot roiutes and make custom maps with it too but Ive not tried.

Thats been around a while, and gets regular mentions.

For Portugal I need layers, ie the map, and also the satellite photo - thats cos the tracks just arent on the maps.

Maps with me is the easiest of the three, but now ive started playing with arcticquest I reckon it will be the most appropriate.

Pete

I think we discussed this a while ago
the tracks are visible on openstreetmap and these can be downloaded and used on oziexplorer

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Openstreetmap has a few tracks mapped, but only a tiny fraction of what is available, and none in the areas we are travelling. It needs someone to create the maps, but virtually no-one drives them, so no info.

For Portugal, the only real answer is satellite photos, as they give a picture of whats on the ground - Everytrail looks the most promising but cant get images to work offline, mapswithme works offline really well, but its maps only, so looks like Im travelling in the middle of nowhere!

Pete

Back