Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

marine battery along with regular battery???

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
Quick question,

Currently have a marine deep cycle battery in the truck as the one that was there failed a few days ago. It's 650cca. Is it safe to run in parallel with my other regular battery?

Are there any pros/cons in running a marine deep cycle battery like this?

I read they don't like heavy amperage draws like when starting, though I should add this is the one on the drivers side, the starter cable is run to the regular battery, though I'm not sure this even matters because it's a parallel circuit. As you can see, I'm not too good when it comes to electrics...

What's you guys view?

Quick question,

Currently have a marine deep cycle battery in the truck as the one that was there failed a few days ago. It's 650cca. Is it safe to run in parallel with my other regular battery?

I read they don't like heavy amperage draws like when starting, though I should add this is the one on the drivers side, the starter cable is run to the regular battery, though I'm not sure this even matters because it's a parallel circuit. As you can see, I'm not too good when it comes to electrics...

What's you guys view?
My first thoughts are that it is best to run identical paired batteries. Not sure on which truck you have (12v pair in parallel or series parallel 24v start as on the 80s). The fact it gives out 650ccA (cold cranking Amps) is an indication that it is ok as a starter battery. I would say the best you can do is to find a battery to pair up with one of them, possibly the marine one (though this is a guess that it may be a better battery and that the other one is the same as the one that failed). Ideally, a matched pair is best, changed at the same time, though fitting a pair to one of those you have may prove successful, thoough this depends on the age and condition of the existing battery.

It's a 90 series, which runs 12v parallel. The other battery is a year old, in perfect condition (got it tested the other day).

I decided to remove the marine battery and run a regular one as I see no real pros in having the marine battery in place. To get the most out of a deep cycle battery it looks like it's best to have it isolated so that heavy amperage don't feed off it, but the alternator can still charge it.

Reactions: uHu
It's a 90 series, which runs 12v parallel. The other battery is a year old, in perfect condition (got it tested the other day).

I decided to remove the marine battery and run a regular one as I see no real pros in having the marine battery in place. To get the most out of a deep cycle battery it looks like it's best to have it isolated so that heavy amperage don't feed off it, but the alternator can still charge it.
Yes, feed it with a volt sensing relay and use it as a leisure battery. Chris has some good info on doing this in his threads.

Last edited:

With the setup you had there it's unlikely you'll damage the marine battery as the cranking current would be shared between it and the other but as you've now pointed out, you're not going to get the best use out of it. Rather use it for something where it might get discharged and has the ability to bounce back whereas flattening a standard battery would have an impact on it's life.

Quick question,

What's you guys view?
if one battery has failed the other may give up the ghost pretty soon as well.with battery banks it's important that they are all of the same amps & age as any weak battery will drag down the others.the term marine battery is pretty meaningless as yachts/ boats use deep cycle batteries for onboard power & ordinary car batteries for engine starting or bow thursters.is this marine battery in good condition? if so it might be worth saving it & shelling out for 2x New starter batteries?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The marine battery is in good condition, I ran it because I needed one and I thought it's better to use it than sitting around. Performed no different in the couple weeks I had it, just wanted to know peoples thought on running one.

I managed to get the battery that was failing before it failed as I get them checked pretty regularly so I don't think it affected my well known battery.

Thinking about it, I do like the idea of having a deep cycle battery along with one big regular starter. Means when the trucks off I can have my music playing, use the outlets ect without having to worry about much. What's needed to isolate the two batteries like this?

Apologies, I messed up post 4, which should answer your question above. From what I remember, Chris also uses some sort of Ctek charger between the two but best have a search as its all there I believe.

I've just gone to a twin battery set up and installed a leisure battery but connected via a vsr.

Back