Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Marty

Martingray

hi guys, my name is Marty. I currently don't have a land cruiser just yet but I have placed a deposit on one that I am expecting to buy within the next week. I joined to do some research on whether or not I'm making the right buy. I'm new to this platform so I'm learning a lot and was hoping to learn a lot from people on here. I'm looking to buy a 1994 70 prado kzj78w model with 190,000 km that has no rust with a new paint job and sprayed undercarriage. Not sure if it's worth $12k but it looks well maintained and imported from mainland Japan. Anyway, I hope to make a few friends on here and pick your brains about land cruisers.

Here's a few pics

IMG_0550.jpg IMG_0551.jpg IMG_0552.jpg

Welcome along Marty. That looks cool in black. I don't know much about 70 series, which engine does it have?

Hey Andy, it's the 3.0 Turbo Diesel. I believe the engine code is 1Kz.

Yep, I believe the 3.0 badge on the back gives it away. I guess you are mainland North America, are RHD vehicles ok over there. Didn't you fancy the older Cruiser there on the lot? is it a 55 series?

Yep, I believe the 3.0 badge on the back gives it away. I guess you are mainland North America, are RHD vehicles ok over there. Didn't you fancy the older Cruiser there on the lot? is it a 55 series?

I actually live on Okinawa, Japan. The brown and white one is a Fj62 I believe, and it belongs to the owner of the lot and that red one you can barely see is a jeep.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hi guys, my name is Marty. I currently don't have a land cruiser just yet but I have placed a deposit on one that I am expecting to buy within the next week. I joined to do some research on whether or not I'm making the right buy. I'm new to this platform so I'm learning a lot and was hoping to learn a lot from people on here. I'm looking to buy a 1994 70 prado kzj78w model with 190,000 km that has no rust with a new paint job and sprayed undercarriage. Not sure if it's worth $12k but it looks well maintained and imported from mainland Japan. Anyway, I hope to make a few friends on here and pick your brains about land cruisers.

Hi, Marty.
Thats a neat looking ride. I have the same as you are planning to buy. What I can tell you is that it is reliable as long as you are changing your fuids on time. Its preety Hardy and will go anywhere. Does this one have rear Diff locks and a sunroof etc. Its a smart buy . 12k sounds ok . Welcome aboard btw. Lots of nice people here . Post some pics of your interior etc . Keep us posted. Good luck! :)

Hi, Marty.
Thats a neat looking ride. I have the same as you are planning to buy. What I can tell you is that it is reliable as long as you are changing your fuids on time. Its preety Hardy and will go anywhere. Does this one have rear Diff locks and a sunroof etc. Its a smart buy . 12k sounds ok . Welcome aboard btw. Lots of nice people here . Post some pics of your interior etc . Keep us posted. Good luck! :)

Yes it has rear diff locks but he couldn't get it to work when showing the truck. Should I be concerned? Don't know if this might be a common problem or an easy fix? And yes, it has a sunroof. I'll post interior pics when I pick it up next week. And thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated!

Also, if someone has advice on things to look for (common issues or indicators to look for that screams "stay away"), that would be awesome. I bought a 97 Ford 7.3 turbo diesel a while back and immediately noticed a small but common fuel leak after bringing it home. If I did a little bit of research on forums before hand, I would have known that the repair would take 2 days with common tools. Boy did my hands hurt afterwards...not to mention the headache sourcing parts that were discontinued (most likely why the previous owner hadn't fixed it).

Yes it has rear diff locks but he couldn't get it to work

Did the light in the instrument Panel Flash or get to solid state. How did he determine that they were not locking.
The rear diffs in this model are engaged via electric motor. So It is not a major issue but it would be nice if the owner can get them checked for you . Sometimes the light is faulty but the diffs lock up. However avoid locking them on hard surfaces and if you do dont take any sharp turns.

Did the light in the instrument Panel Flash or get to solid state. How did he determine that they were not locking.
The rear diffs in this model are engaged via electric motor. So It is not a major issue but it would be nice if the owner can get them checked for you . Sometimes the light is faulty but the diffs lock up. However avoid locking them on hard surfaces and if you do dont take any sharp turns.

Good to know. I just asked him if they worked so he pressed it and was looking at the dash. I couldn't see what he was looking at so I'm not sure what the lights were doing. We were parked on pavement when he tried it. I'll have to work something out with him. Thanks!

Also, if someone has advice on things to look for (common issues or indicators to look for that screams "stay away"), that would be awesome. I bought a 97 Ford 7.3 turbo diesel a while back and immediately noticed a small but common fuel leak after bringing it home. If I did a little bit of research on forums before hand, I would have known that the repair would take 2 days with common tools. Boy did my hands hurt afterwards...not to mention the headache sourcing parts that were discontinued (most likely why the previous owner hadn't fixed it).

Check for bubbles in the radiator
Check if there is any engine blow back.
Check if there is any oil seepage around the turbo join
Check if The engine is hunting at Idle
Take it for a test drive and see if the transmission is changing gears on the correct ratios . See if the OD works and the ECT.
Check for smoke . none or white or black. None is the best situation.
Check for oil seepage around the head of the engine
Make sure the tire pressure in all four tires is equal so you can see the stance of the vehicle .
Since the whole thing is a re painit enquire about its history or any major accidents

Check for bubbles in the radiator
Check if there is any engine blow back.
Check if there is any oil seepage around the turbo join
Check if The engine is hunting at Idle
Take it for a test drive and see if the transmission is changing gears on the correct ratios . See if the OD works and the ECT.
Check for smoke . none or white or black. None is the best situation.
Check for oil seepage around the head of the engine
Make sure the tire pressure in all four tires is equal so you can see the stance of the vehicle .
Since the whole thing is a re painit enquire about its history or any major accidents

Good points. Thanks for that. Didn't think to check for bubbles in coolant. One thing Japan has is a strict inspection process for all registered cars. Example: wheels sticking out past fenders will fail an inspection. The guy couldn't even sell it if it had leaks or smoke so I'm good there. I plan to do a tap test and bring a magnet to check for bondo next time I see it.

Hi Andy can you not see it is a 60 at the back have a run out to specsabvers :(;) r you ok o and welcome to the new man .

Back