Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Max offcial speeds of the 80?/Tyre thoughts?

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
So, I started making in roads to change up from the stock 275/70/16 up to 285/75/16,

In Spain this modification will take some time and cost to achieve, administration engineers report, documents that will not hold the company who fits them liable if I have an accident, and so forth.

My brand preference is BF Goodrich but alas it seems the above size is only available in a speed rating not suitable for the MANUAL 80? I am looking for some official figures that proves the 80 manual has a similar top speed as an auto, as an auto is capable of being fitted with S rated tyres and not H rated. I also find one tyre supplier can get H rated tyres and two others say no? This is typical of Spain, anything out of the ordinary needs shedloads of research and reams of paper to be achieved.

The worst case scenario is I have to stay with the stock size, but can only find H rated tyres here from Toyo (Open country) or Yokohama A/T.

Not being overly impressed by the TOYO's I wondered if anyone had any experience of the Yokohama's?

In the meantime I will search for H rated AT tyres.

TIA

regards

Dave

Last edited:
I'm still after 305/70/16 BFG AT KO2s, not available here at all but I found a guy that would import them for me. Like Spain, they will give me grief because the tyre size on my registration document is 215/85/16 :icon-rolleyes:

I know little about H & S ratings, but what makes you say an auto is capable of being fitted with S rated tyres but not H rated, who says?

Moreover, how often do you (want to) drive over 180 kph in your 80?

OK, maybe I'm a bit envious, but I'm lucky to get 130 kph out of my HZ, down hill, with a tailwind, so according to the table below, I could be using M speed rated = 81 mph 130 km/h Temporary Spare Tires :laughing-rolling:

L = 75 mph 120 km/h Off-Road & Light Truck Tires
M = 81 mph 130 km/h Temporary Spare Tires
N = 87 mph 140km/h
P = 93 mph 150 km/h
Q = 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R = 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S = 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T = 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U = 124 mph 200 km/h
H = 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V = 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars
W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

Needless to say Dave, I'm confused by the question.:crazy:

Looking through my owners handbook there's no official top speed only max speeds in lower gears.
It lists both S and H rated tyres though depending on size.
1466027731600241469940.jpg

The Toyota brochure for the last 24v 80's (1997) lists the top speed of both the VX auto petrol and GX/VX diesel manual as 106mph. 0-60mph in 12.7 diesel & 12.6 petrol.

The reason I ask, is a friend who had the same model as me (albeit auto), and he had his vehicle accepted for matriculation (import) and it was with 285/75/16 with IIRC 'S' rated fitted.

I queried why mine was not allowed to have them, and the reply was the manual version should have the higher 'H' rating as it has a higher top speed, hence my looking for official figures. And looking at Gary's paperwork it does in fact show 'H' rating, so it is entirely possible that many are running around out there with tyres rated lower than they should be, here in Spain you will not be insured if they are not as per the 'Ficha Technica', my insurance company confirm they will only continue cover if the change is accompanied with an engineer certification.

I note the official figures posted by TP and Gary (thank you), and think they are quite conservative, I have seen the speedo needle on mine hit the trip reset button, even allowing for speedo error, I would say it is quicker than those figures suggest? But if I can find official figures for my model, then I may get away with a lower rated tyre however, reducing the speed (or performance rating)rating of the tyre also affects braking and cornering, so it is a two edge sword. Given the heat we see here, then the engineer may be erring on the cautious side? Nothing wrong with that but it does reduce my tyre options. Sorry if my first post was not clear enough.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
All is clear now Dave, what I said was rather tongue-in-cheek anyway. The authorities here, ergo the police, simply do what they want, irrespective of their right to do it.

By rights, I should go and get my technical papers changed, but like in Spain, that's a major headache and costly, not necessarily in fees (I understand it to be quite cheap) but you may know, there's always a "problem" and the only way around it is to pay them to look away.

That's where the real money is.

The list of mods on my truck (without an engineering certificate) is growing. Probably I'm "illegal" on 10 or more counts at the moment. The police can enforce cancellation of my "tehnica" any time they wish.

I was threatened with it just a few weeks ago, for my HIDs. After taking all my details, the cop then decided that because I had high-pressure headlamp washers, I was free to go. "Have a good day" he said, "nice truck!"
WTF !

Nightmare.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For me Clive it is about insurance. As a youngster I DID drive around without tax and insurance....in fact was driving a car whilst in primary school so no angel. But as I aged, I guess I felt it had become sociably unacceptable to have no insurance. So I am trying to keep within the law as much as is practicable.

The other thing on my mind, is the average speeds on the roads where I live (bar July /August) means I am travelling at around 70 MPH for even simple runs between towns, the bypasses are so good. Of course the ratings are not only for speed, they relate to braking/corning as well, so do not want to fall foul of the Guardia Trafico, although having said that, I think I may have got 'clocked' yesterday, hope not or my latest tax rebate is going to have a big hole in it. You always know within a few days if you have been caught speeding, your insurance company notifies you!!

regards

Dave

Back