Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Metalian Maxi/80 Build Thread

Loads more work has been done and will update in due course ... but for now a tyre conundrum.

I have at ko2 285/75 r16 fitted to the 80. I was originally going to fit these to the trailer as well but they are just too wide. I have my old tyres which are 255/85 r16 bfg original mid terrains which do fit quite nicely from memory (another fitting to confirm.) they do have some age in them but are in fairly good nick.

There is nothing wrong with the tyres that came with the trailer they are 215/105 r15 on steel rims.

As I want to carry two bikes on the trailer spare tyre carrier I’m not sure they will take the weight of a spare plus the bikes on rough terrain.

I will have two spare 285/75 r16 on the tyre carrier for the 80.

My thinking is if I fit two of the best 255/85 to the trailer in an emergency where I couldn’t plug the trailer tyre I could use one of the slightly larger car spare tyres to where I could buy a new set - what are people’s thoughts on this?

Why not fill the tyres with a puncture type slime to help? Take a couple of inner tubes. You then have the spares are your back up if all else failed.

I would happily run 2 odd tyres on a trailer to get out of trouble. No diff to worry about will find own revs

I have goo in mine. In all my trailers and quad and my 80. It is good. Stops leaking rims too.

I have 5 bottles of the goo sitting here ... I’ve just never been sure if they can save it when changing rims and tyres. One of the next things on the list is to have all the rims refurbed and didn’t want to waste it.

Thanks again :)

No reason why it wouldn't work as a temp get out of trouble measure, long term the big tyres might tear up the arches on the trailer? I would prefer to carry the spare and mount the bikes elsewhere if possible. Can you fit a receiver hitch to the rear of the trailer for a rack or mount them in front of the nose cone?

Thanks @stumog - I think it will be the preferred option.

@Gr8Yota i think the guards on these trailers are more likely to tear the tyres up first. Unfortunately there isn’t really anywhere else they could go. I’ll probably start off with the spare and if it looks like it’s going to fail then I’ll dump the tyre and rim. I’ll support it with a ratchet strap to to the trailer to take some load off it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back