Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Metalian offroad and expedition trailers

stan

We now have a dedicated Metalian website..
www.metalian.co.uk

On here is a 'trailer builder' so you can spec a trailer to your needs..

We have stock in the UK at present.
2 of the older midi (now called Parthian)
1 maxi

All similar spec with tentco tents.
Message me for more info

Okay - dumb question time...

I've thought about a travel trailer as an alternative to having a dedicated 4x4 camper... but my question is, what do you do regarding security and insurance on what is £10k of kit that (presumably!) you have to leave parked up somewhere whilst you're off playing/exploring? I presume there must be a sensible answer to my dumb question?

No different to a caravan.
Hitch lock, wheel lock and insurance cover.

Yep, I insured mine this year with NFU I think. It was a pittance frankly. I can look it out and post details. Thing is that most insurers haven't a clue what it is you are trying to insure. No it's not a caravan. Not it's not a trailer tent, jeez it's an expeditions trailer. Ok yes it's a trailer tent. How much? Lovely, thanks.

Ah, okay - insurance was the main bit I was struggling with (what the hell to insure it as!)... presumably the main trailer is also fully "locked up" to prevent light fingered types lifting parts/equipment from it?

Yes it's locked but not 'Trackered' at all. I also remove the handbrake lever which makes moving it very very hard and I have it on a NATO hitch which means that most Jonnies that come along couldn't tow it away. OK sure they could unbolt that and put a normal hitch back on and then spin it round on the drive to connect it up but by this time my dog would be going nuts, the security lights would be on etc etc. It's all about slowing them down.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Chris - I was actually thinking more about when you were parked up in the middle of nowhere, than on the drive (though if you're anything like me, I'm more worried about parking up in the UK than pretty much anywhere else in Europe!)... NATO hitch is a good option though in any case.

Give it some thought next time your at a campsite Dave , what's to stop you leaving with your neighbors tent , or trailer or anything else . I allay me fears by accepting everyone else has the same concern and so they are watchful for suspicious behavior .

The big wheels are so you don't have to leave it behind when your in the ass end of nowhere .

Ahh sorry Dave. Well I have to say that if I'm on a camp site then they've another 100 vans and tents to choose from haven't they. I can't say that theft from site is something I'd think was rife so that's not a concern.

When parked up in the middle of nowhere, well that's different. I can't genuinely say that I have had that experience yet. Not truly. But yes the doors are all locked and so in, but the tent and awning are usually deployed to so if anyone wants to nick it, they'd have to pack it all away first. I think Shayne suggested making a NATO hitchlock which is a good idea. I think that some form of clamshell affair that went in the middle of the eye would make hitching to anything very hard. I do think that a handbrake lock would be effective. It's utterly unmovable when that's on.

Aye, less of an issue with a recognised camp area, it was the wild camping/leaving it somewhere whilst exploring I was really thinking about, Chris & Shane. Agree, no different than a tent in terms of nicking potential, but we're talking a lot more money, even with a home grown one. Thanks for the insights in any case :)

Worth saying of course that the NATO hitch is only held on with a couple of big bolts. You could whip it off and stick it in the trailer. Man that would be hard to tow.

I shouldn't say on here in case thieves are watching, but I put a bag over the hitch on my drive. So, if anyone is scoping it - let's say a courier, window cleaner, postie, then they won't see the hitch - or lack of one. Should they turn up, it's very unlikely they'll have brought a spare with them.

I've heard of chains wrapped around the hitch being used as a method to hitch a caravan up to steal it rather than trying to remove any hitch lock.

...and they could bring a fork lift truck and a low-loader.

It's all about making yours less attractive to steal than the next one. Thieves, generally, like a quick in and out. Gates, dogs, lights, locks, gravel etc etc are all factors that have SOME deterrent value. I agree that if I had to, I could chain a trailer to a tow hitch, or whatever, but it all takes time and makes noise and looks odd at 03.00.

I'd really like the vacant lock-up next to my unit so I can stick the trailer and quad in there and lock it all up tight.

Should be a separate trailer security thread really but that would only help thieves , and as Dave asked a very valid question i suppose it can only help Stan https://metalian.co.uk/ if we discuss security options .

I like the simplicity of a wheel clamp but its bulky and not very user friendly so i've been trying to devise a simple mechanical solution . Make of it what you will but here's a bare bone sketch of an idea -

The jockey wheel usually folds up along side the A-frame because you can't tow with it down . So how about a jockey leg on the other side fabricated to hide the swivel and welded on . The locking pin could be a car wheel security nut welded to a wheel stud , and if you ran a battery operated alarmed bicycle lock inside the leg you will upset a thief who tries to cut through it .

Shayne, yours is on stilts, just whip a wheel off when not in use.

We will be taking a midi trailer to the the great british landrover show (i know, sorry) on 23 April at stoneleigh if anyone is interested, we have a small trade stand there

Oh come on Stan. Really? People have been burned at the stake for less than that. I guess there's money to be made pulling people out of the car park ....

Hope it goes well. I just love my Metalian to bits. Can't wait to do the Pyrenees with it this year. I'm taking it to Lincomb even though there's absolutely no need whatsoever.

Its just that i want to turn up there in a bright yellow 78 troopy with a Metalian on the back, cats and pigeons and all that.
I will try and make it to lincomb with a trailer, so long as i dont get burned at the stake for the previous weekends endeavor..

You will if the trailer is yellow too

Back