Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Milners brake disc/drum and rear shoes

mallster70

Country Flag
great_britain
Anyone had or having the same problems as me? Everyone knows that this is possibly the most annoying and fiddlyist (is that a word?) part of a LC to work on. Imagine my frustration when coming towards the end of a two year restoration project on our 97 KZJ95, and you find the Milners parts dont fit.

Purchased rear discs and shoes a while ago now and just come to putting them on and found the shoes just will not fit. They dont sit on the mounts but i suspect a little fettling with an angle grinder would help. Purchased genuine shoes, straight on...perfect. Put the discs on. Massive flat spots. more on one than the other. They are sitting square and true on the shoes so no problems there. just when you wind the adjuster up, flat spots start to appear on the one side of the drum. purchased genuine and guess what? perfect. adjusted up really well. followed the handbrake guide on 'stickies' and are great. Have the Milners ones been badly machined? Anyone else had this? Cheers, Andy.

Have to say I have not heard of any problems with the discs themselves other than some front 70 discs that Ben bought that were too tight to get the wheel studs in. I think lots of people, me included have had Milner 80 and 90 discs. There is an issue with aftermarket shoes not being quite right in terms of adjusting, but they seem to fit in the drum ok.

I think i will just have to put it down to experience.:think: Its 18 mths ago since i brought the Milners stuff and i have only just got round to that end of the truck. I will bell them today and see what they have to say. its too much of coincidence that the genuine stuff went straight on. i have brought £1500+ stuff off Roughtrax this month alone with no issues at all. Live 'an learn.:icon-cry:

I hate to admit but it can be a bit of a lottery at times. On the 80 we know which parts are good and which aren't. Also which bits are genuine and a significant saving. These don't sound so good. Do bear in mind though that some of the Roughtrax parts come from Milner!

They are trade members on here now so when you ring up make sure that you mention this!

I've had problems with the Milner rear disk/handbrake drums too. One was so badly out of true I replaced it with one from Roughtrax. The original had such bad high spots that I couldn't adjust the handbrake properly.

I have also had to bore new adjuster holes in the drum so that I could get a screwdriver to the handbrake adjuster.

They are cheap for a reason :icon-rolleyes:.

Bob.

hi Bob. been through some of your old posts and saw your photo's of the 're- bore'! i do agree with you though, they are cheap for a reason, but also they need to at least work for the purposes intended. i struggled ALL day trying to get a decent bite from discs which obviously were not machined true. fantastic advice on the 'stickie' Chris. got loads more bite off the hand brake after adjusting using your method.

im afriad it may be just as Chris suggested. using experience to pick parts from various suppliers .they are obviously not all the same. thanks both.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm almost waiting for my 90 to fail mot on disks so I have an excuse to get Brembo disks and pads just to see if it makes a difference .

or at least get genuine Shayne!

just spoke to Milners, very sorry but you have had them for so long without reporting this problem, so forget it....no returns.

the guy even admitted the they have quality problems with those two items.

i think its damn obvious that you have been using brake parts! there is a difference between new and used!

Milners loss. between the two farms we run two hi lux, a 95 and a 80.

I get the majority of my bits from roughtrax simply because you can see a picture and the manufacturer of the part is more often than not displayed . I searched Milners website for a new clutch and basically got "this fits" I think roughtrax might have been a cuppa tea more expensive but it gave me the choice of exedy or genuine nuff said .

I used roughtrax rear discs, one side was considerably thicker than the other on each disc.

I tend to buy toyota parts from both companies, or get them from toyota.

Cheap for a reason.

I priced up discs and pads all round from Toyota last year (for my 80) and ended up just renewing pads. I tried Ferodo pads in the end, deciding to put off the disc change as they still had life in them. I figured Ferodo had been around for a long time and should be ok but they are noisy at almost stop, groaning and complaining. They also squeal a fair bit even with plenty of copper ease on them.

I'm considering EBC discs and their 'yellow stuff' pads, but would be talking to them directly first but might well just go with Toyota and bite the bullet. I've very rarely used pattern parts and every time had a problem. I might put Toyota genuine discs and pads on the order from Amayama if the shipping isn't too bad, along with the replacement for whatever is clicking in my steering knuckle. [emoji53]

Last edited:
this is what i am hearing as i speak to people more and more about pattern stuff, and funnily enough....brake parts. there seems to be one exception to this rule, this being 'Blue Print' parts. not heard a bad thing on these yet.

ask yourself, a bit more cash, no hassel fitting and that peace of mind you have fitted genine brake parts. ..no brainer.

i think this will be my atitude to the vast majority of bits from now on. you can get a wide range of price differences for genuine spares. just shop around.

I cannot understand the logic of buying things off a dealer in the hope that they are going to fit. I bought a useless steering damper off Milner, only because their photograph showed a genuine Toyota one. I don't think dishonest people, whether by their mistake or on purpose should be supported.

I put genuine disc's and pads on wugg brought from roughtrax

When mine need replacing I'm going with these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landcruiser-Colorado-Drilled-Brake-Discs-Front-Rear-Pad-/300574808401

I've used mtec discs on my track car and my MINI Cooper S Works. When I bought the first set I was sceptical about a brand I hadn't heard of via ebay being any good. Boy did they surprise me. My first set were on my track car for 4 years and are still sat in the garage with no wear. The set on the MINI had done 50 000 miles when I sold it. Last ages and perform very well. Also available plain, dimpled in case your worried about cracking on the drilled versions

Back