Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

mixing tyres 3:1

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
My car had 2 rear Dulnop grantrex SJ6 winter tyres and same spare wheel. Front two were Grandtrek PT2A. I noticed one of the front tyre had a crack. I sent it for checkup and mechanic told the tyre with crack should not be used so I asked to replace with spare one. Now I have three winter tyres (rear 2 and front passenger) and one summer tyre. All the tyres on the car are not new, they have good tread but should be atleast 4-5 years old.

Please any suggestions if this is ok or will it have any long term effects on parts upstream.
I am considering Geolander AT015 if I want to replace. Any one used them on LC200 with 20 inch rims.

The geolanders are ok, I have run them for a good distance on the 120. They are ok on grass, gravel and sand. If you are spending most of your time on a hard surface, there are far worse choices to make w.r.t tyres.

By way of mixing winter/summer. I don't know really. Maybe it's grandma tales but keeping the front pair and back pair similar is burned into the back of my mind. Maybe take the best three of what you have now, put one of them as a spare, put the other two in the front and get two geolanders for the back (?) Then many years later, move the back geolanders to the front and get another two for the back ?

Btw 20".. what sort of sidewall do you get on there ?

Thank you for your input, yes moving set of 2 will also serve purpose. Side wall is 50. I am going by Toyota manual 285/50/R20s.

I drove the car today for the first time after buying. I quickly went for a 20 min drive before I start work. Its tempting, 20 mins is too less, will have to take it for bit long tonight when its dark to see how it feels at night.

Mixing summer and winter tyres can cause the vehicle to be unstable especially in winter.

Doesn't make sense to have a nice car like that and spoil it for a set of tyres!

Yes Karl, since i was not driving, i asked mechanic to replace spare tyre but now after i start driving i should get right set of wheels. I am also very unpredictable and suddenly decide to turn car towards mountains, which i did in the past with my accord as well so getting basics right is important for my type. :sweatsmile:. With my accord, that day, I reached Wrynose pass at 9:30 PM, it was pitch dark and the thunders and rain that day was very exiting experience but scary at same time. There were some 4x4s getting out of those valleys with all the extra heavy duty LED lights and i was heading towards the valley. That night i crossed wrynose pass and hardknott pass in that climate. By the time i crossed both the passes I burnt my breaks but i reached my spot. Since that night was scary, after couple of months i again drove in same accord to those passes on a summer day.

My concern was the breaks, suspension, traction control etc etc as winter and summer tyre on same axel will have very different characteristics.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For virtually all conditions the geolanders will be fine. I have them on my 80 and rate their road manners. I'd have them on a 200 series.

Thank you Andy

Dear All, Thank you for your suggestion and inputs.
Today I took the car for a drive and checked. My first hand experience with 3:1 combo :smile: Attached pics, the summer tyre is on driver side and the winter tyre in pic is on passenger side and both rear ones.

Was driving at 70 on A road, road was with usual bumps, driving my usual way with one hand on steering. When i tried to change lane, it went bit crazy steering going left n right and felt car is going out of control suddenly. I have to use both hands n hold tight. Either its due to such massive difference in tread pattern of tyres on same axel, road, speed, maneuver or combination of all but felt unsafe.
M going for full set of Geolanders AT G015. I will keep the winter tyres as they have good tread, just in case. If anyone in our community needs them, feel free to pick when ever needed.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-14 at 19.39.54 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-14 at 19.39.54 (1).jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 23
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-14 at 19.39.54.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-14 at 19.39.54.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 17
Or you could possibly buy a new replacement for the missing/odd tyre and then you have a matching set. Just an idea..

Hi Iwan, I tried for the single replacement tyre. Dunlop grandtrek SJ6 seems to be discontinued as its not found anywhere. I got the car recently and all the tyres came with the car so not sure when and where previous owner got them

Back