Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

modern ish 4x4s and mpg.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
couple of nights ago now, went out for a black pudding bacon and stilton starter, followed by a 8 oz fillet steak with peppercorn sauce and mash. finished off with a cheesecake with caramel sauce and ice cream. washed down with several beers and a house red..

anyway, I drove ems car there and she drove back. driving there I started pressing buttons and stuff and average fuel consumption popped up on the dash.
25mpg, I was a bit surprised by this. doesn't make the 80 seem all that bad at nearly twice the engine size and only a couple of mpg less..

so, the reform public house in Thorncliffe staffs. great food, no pretentious prices and poxy portions.
recommended.

I seem to get around 31/32 mpg out of my 2017 D-Max truck

I take it you’re not Vegan then CG!:icon-biggrin:
Sounds delicious :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Iv never sat down and Calculated Figures but i seem to be getting better overall fuel Consumption out of the 24v 80 than i did the 120..50 quid will give me over half a tank and it just seems to last for Yonks! Same driving style and speeds as i did in the 120... It just seems Better Thats all

We stopped there once and couldn’t get a table ... will have to try again.

I drove a new RAV4 petrol hybrid as frugally as I could last year and I only managed 35mpg on a run. The Cruiser did Sheffield to Dundee on 60 quid last week - just over 30mpg.

Last edited:
Also, at first I thought that introduction was to explain a sudden loss in MPG ...

Don't mention MPG . . . . . . :shock:.

I bought a lathe on e-bay - all 1.3 tons of it (Colchester Triumph 2000, 1977 model). Naturally it wasn't local to me (Edinburgh) - it was in Lymington, Hampshire !

I decided to fetch it myself (the seller had some other stuff I might have been interested in), so I took the 3.5-ton Plant Trailer on the back of the Amazon 100.

1,020 miles later its home, at an average consumption of 18.2 MPG :)angry-screaming:). That was 255 litres of diesel.

Friday on the A337 / M27 / M3 / A34 / M4 / M5 / M6 / M74 / A706 taking 10.5 hours was no joke. I need to strip the turbo and torque converter, it wasn't pulling well.

Fortunately I don't get out much these days.

Bob :icon-biggrin:.

Back-to-back on the same roads, same driving style - 80 Series 4.2 diesel manual is c22 mpg, Hilux 3.0 D4D manual is c28 mpg. Seems about right?

I regularly get 24-25mpg local driving round the hills of Sheffield. Towing the 1.5 ton caravan to Scotland on the motorways gives just over 20mpg. Driving round solo while up their with mixed urban and longish rural runs, 29- 30mpg is common. Best Ive ever had is a tad over 32mpg but that was driving purely for economy which was a PITA.

Calculated the mpg on the 33 year old BJ73 with 3.4 diesel 3B on last winters round trip to Ibiza.

Gearbox fault, so no 5th gear. Stayed off motorway, didn't do much more than 55mph as a result.

Gave a solid 29/30 mpg. Very happy and not a little surprised.

As someone in the market for a modernish 4x4 with decent mpg this thread is disappointing.

A Spanish mate asked my advice as he's thinking of getting a 4x4 - "Lada Nivas drink petrol " - he asked if anything else was better on fuel.The answer is if MPG matters a 4x4 isn't for you.We're looking at replacing the Civic soon & by my calculation a diesel car doing 10 MPG more would save us €250 a year.

My 15 plate 3.0 D4D Hilux dues a solid 26 mpg. It's poor really. My mate has the same in the slightly smaller engine and he gets around 32. On a good run up the motorway, it does slightly more it's true but just now I am experimenting with cetane booster. I used to use this years ago when I bought a load of new-old stock from a motor factor. It definitely made a difference. Then I forgot all about it until recently. It's not just the MPG - I'm not bitching about that; it's the range that I want to increase. When we get up to Scotland or out in the wilds, having another 50 miles in the tank can make all the difference. So far the engine certainly starts quicker. I won't know about mpg really until a get some runs in but it feels smoother, quieter and a bit more torquey.

I want to stick some in the Cruiser when I put it back on the road in the Spring.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-EHN-Hi...var=501898167989&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

My 95 does 30mpg under normal driving and always has. Less while towing obviously.

Mpg is not the factor it may seem.. I calculated the overall running cost of the cruiser vs Mrs Bob's Kuga... Fuel, insurance, tax & maintenance costs over a 5 year stretch..

Despite mid 40's mpg, the Kuga only costs about €5 a year less to run than the big truck

My boltswagen touareg can be anywhere between 30 and 44, depending greatly on the brand of gogo juice, and if it’s me or my wife driving. I’m not admitting to anything
Last touareg, 2009 model, was between 27 and 33mpg

No idea what the 80 does, don’t really want to know

Cheers

Wow, how do you guys stay around 25 MPG?
I'm happy when I'm getting 21 MPG on my day to day runs.
I originally thought it was the roof rack acting like a wind break but I've taken it off and it made no difference at all. I think what is causing my poor consumption is the hill I go up twice a day just when I join the motorway.
We're going down to England over Xmas so will check again while the roof rack is still off. I'm hoping for high 20s or low 30s.

Back