Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

modern ish 4x4s and mpg.

My 2013 Hilux is doing around 21-22mpg at moment on new BFG AT tyres
With the winter tyres on it used to do about 25mpg
And with factory Bridgestones it was in 28-30mpg. But that was before i lifted it and bolted on lots of toys and added a canopy on back

I worked out what my 80 did on a run to Edinburgh with all the gear in and oz tent on roof it said 21mpg and I like to 'let the engine breathe'. Did seem a lot better before the roof rack that's the only noticeable difference

The best I've ever got out of the 100 4.2 is 24mpg while 6 up and towing a trailer tent, typically high teens round town. On the FZJ80 I got 13mpg on LPG so worked out to 24.5mpg taking cost into account and if I'm feeling flush I'll fill the petrol tank up and try that one day :)
On cars of this size there is little you can do to hide the size/weight when trying to get better mpg so hats off to everyone getting more out of theirs, I've given up trying, just drive them :)

I’m pretty happy with my V8 Troopy, 20 - 21 mpg depending on the type of driving.

I average 19 mpg in my 3.5 ton 1HX Troopy and in the 1st 400 miles in the 24v 80 I got 24.6MPG

Best I've got out the FZJ80 is 21.2mpg, and it's currently averaging 17mpg...

Much prefer the L/100km measurement... 13.3 and 16.5 respectively...

946136.png

946136.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 80 will do 22mpg on a run, only run it on higher octane unleaded, its had some tweaks in the performance department, it's no slouch. If just round town it's low teens but does have 35" mts to turn.

My 3 series which is more practical day to day does 40 to 45 mpg round town, 70 mpg on a run with ease.

We went to Disney in the summer, did just shy of 1000 miles to about £80 in Diesel. Made up for the €45 speeding fine Haha

X5's etc arent exactly great on fuel, may as well have a petrol v8 if want a modern 4x4.

Also, at first I thought that introduction was to explain a sudden loss in MPG ...
...relating to a sudden increase in load.. well, the main tank was full, and probable the sub..:)
throw me a text if your there again Jacob, can grab a shandy if im about.

I was expecting more from a modernish motor I have to admit.
road tax on the 80 is cheap compared to newer large 4x4s too.
then there is the reliability, other than treats I havnt spent much on the 80 at all in parts.
14 years of ownership and over 200000 miles.
water pump
rear diff lock actuator
couple of suspension bushes are getting due for changing
rad
condenser
1 front hub rebuild inc cvs.
rear axle seals. bearings still good!

anyone remember that old "grand a year" and your doing well figure?

3.0 liter V6 Bluemotion VW Touareg
On long runs, easily 43 mpg.
Last recent trip was 45 mpg
Her had recently completed 550 miles, and there was still 165 left in the tank.
MPG.JPG

Graham

Just done an airport run today after some tweaking on the fuel pump and lighter vehicle after some years. Result 11.5 litres / 100 km (24.5mpg) Not bad considering tbh .....

They have a fuel calculation cheating chip in the VW Graham.

They might have, but after they went into VW the program map was replaced.
The on-board computer might not be accurate, but certainly 40 mpg on that particular run.
Her went down from Warrington to Folkstone and return, over 560 miles, and we parked back in our drive with 165 miles showing available.
Touareg has a 17 gallon (75 liter) tank, so still 42 MPG

Graham

Back